First time buying windows - got a low quote, should I go with it?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
hominamd

First time buying windows - got a low quote, should I go with it?

#1 Post by hominamd »

Hi - hoping some people can help me out here.

My office in my home is in what used to be a porch that was enclosed years ago. The walls are almost all windows - there are 4 in front, and 2 on the side. The windows are old and horrible, leak air like crazy and some don't even open. I have just learned to live with it for the last 10 years, until a contractor came and put the idea of replacing them into my head. I don't know why I never really thought of that before! Anyway, this contractor highly recommended a local company that has been around for 15 years.

I called them up and they recommended I get the Slocomb Harmony 143 series window, and quoted me ~$2500 for the whole job - 6 windows. It seemed a bit low to me, and I'm tempted to just pull the trigger, even though I usually research the hell out of decisions like this.

I have never bought windows before, and don't really know what could be good or bad about these. I have lived with the crappiest windows around for the last 10 years, so anything will be a huge upgrade for me, but should I be wary of these? I tried doing some research on this window, but can't really find too much information about them. The brand seems to be OK, but I haven't really found anyone raving about them. They seem to maybe be a good value brand?

I guess I should get some more quotes, but not really sure what I'm looking for. They have a .27 U-Value.

Any advice here would be much appreciated. Thanks!

H

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: First time buying windows - got a low quote, should I go with it?

#2 Post by masterext »

The harmony is Slocomb’s lower end window. Even so, thats such a cheap quote its almost weird.
Again, that is Slocomb’s low end window.
A word of advice: never choose a company just because “ they are local “. A solid company will do a great job whether you are around the corner or an hour away. A weak company will go out of business whether they are 5 minutes away or an hour away.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In my market 6 white double hungs, no grids, half screens, standard install would be $4000.

wayne theWindowNerd

hominamd

#4 Post by hominamd »

Thanks. Any advice of what questions I should ask? Like, why is your price so low? :?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

One reason the price is low is because its Slocombs low end window. The rest is a mystery.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

There are only a few possible reasons for a very low price:

1) Very low product and install costs based on low quality.

2) An organization that has no idea how to price jobs in a sustainable manner. This point alone is why the vast majority of contractors fail very quickly.

3) Very low overhead. Typically a contractor with no employees, working out of his home, etc.

All three of these possibilities decrease the odds of satisfactory project, and oftentimes 2 or even 3 of these conditions exist. In this case, at under $500 per window, I'm going to say that 2 or 3 are at play here. This industry has a bad reputation due to shady sales tactics and things of that like, and while those things exist and should be avoided, the vast majority of complaints, rip off's, and customers getting generally screwed come from being seduced by a price that is too good to be true.