Solace patio door is it the same as sunrise restorations?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HomeSealed

Re: Solace patio door is it the same as sunrise restorations?

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like a solid plan rcs, as long as you aren't spending toooo much on trying to fix the existing door. Its possible that there could be some air coming in around the unit, but again, keep in mind that the door itself is not supremely airtight even with a perfect install.

On the plan to wait and do both Sunrise doors, I like it. If the new Infinity won't match the old, that eliminates "matching" as a reason to go that route.

As as far as the comments on fg vs vinyl, saying that one is "better" is impossible. Fg can be better in some situations, vinyl in others. It depends on the goals and priorities of the homeowner. Vinyl tends to check more boxes more often due to the cost coming in lower and performance higher in most cases, but there are very valid circumstances where fg might be a better fit as well. I'm just not a fan of anyone making a blanket statement like that installer did.

Rcs

#17 Post by Rcs »

Thank you Homesealed. Sorry for the late reply. I am still waiting to hear back from the company. Their concern with removing the door was possibly damaging it. The other piece of the puzzle is because it is 10 years old can they still find parts. I did appreciate how honest the guy was in his assessment. I can say for sure it was not installed correctly given my research and knowledge now about how it should have been done. The original installer only used fiberglass, no spray foam (which I did question at the time) ( being a women some contractors hate it when I ask questions) and of course at that time I am not sure window wrap was even used,...I.e. Grace Vycor.
Are there fiberglass doors that you think are worth considering? I know most everyone likes the vinyl doors expecially the high end ones. My philosophy has always been the old adage buy once cry once, get the best product.

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

Regarding the installation, be careful about the distinction between "right" and "best", especially as it pertains to a door put in 10 years ago. Foam and a sill pan/membrane are preferred and much more common today, but there were many installers stuffing loose fg to insulate around units years ago. Neither of those things (or lack of them in this case) would lead to imminent air leakage if all else was done correctly, they simply offer a more sure fire method of sealing.

On fg doors, I don't have one to recommend unfortunately. We install the Marvin doors upon request but not without a conversation about the trade-offs that we've experienced in performance. There are some very airtight Canadian fiberglass products, but you may have some difficulty finding them and there are other complications that can come from that as well, particularly when it comes to sourcing service parts in a reasonable time frame, etc.

Rcs

#19 Post by Rcs »

Great to know Homesealed. I very much appreciate your expertise and comments. I will keep all of this in mind.
Like I mentioned before this "fix" is to just get me through the winter. Unless it turns out to be the best repair of all the previous 5 repairs and replacement of parts that I have had in the past on this one door, I may decide to keep it, but I doubt it will be satisfactory. I will still replace them in the Spring with the Sunrise Restorations patio doors. I called Okna and they do not service my area in SE Michigan. I did not like the Softlite company. Their products seem wonderful. The sales rep was good but when I asked him if he uses flashing tapes,...he outright said "no" but we could if you wanted us to"! Who says that??!! I told him bluntly no thank you. If you have never done this before as part of your normal installation you are not going to attempt it on mine! You can go learn on someone
else's patio door. :) As everyone knows, it is told to us consumers over and over installation is the most important part. Thanks again. Love this website!!

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

If you want another option on the Softlite door, I'd be very surprised if there is not another Softlite dealer that serves your location unless you are far off the beaten path. Softlite will typically have a small handful of dealers in a given market. The each sell a different window line (most of the time), but the door is pretty universal. The Elements and LS are their top two window offerings, finding the dealer of those lines in your town would likely yield the most reputable installation companies.... and again, that is if interested. The Sunrise door is excellent.

Rcs

#21 Post by Rcs »

Thank you Homesealed. I would imagine that the Sunrise Restorations patio door and the Softlite are both good, from what I have read? Would you choose one over the other and for what reasons? How do I know if the Softlite dealers are true dealers and not just selling them as part of their repertoire? Or do they have an exclusive contract with Softlite for warranty guarantees? The same question applies to Sunrise.
Also I have read that you mentioned you prefer welded corners for the doors,...are the Sunrise welded corners and the Softlite not welded corners? I did put my name in the Softlite website for a dealer near me. The dealer that responded stated they did not serve my area. I am going to call Softlite directly. But if it comes down to the Softlite NOT having the welded corners, then I am going to pick the Sunrise dealer. The Sunrise dealer in my area does come highly recommended and has good reviews. I just like to have my ducks in a row so to speak before spending alot of money and regretting it.
Thanks again for your replies.

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

Its actually the opposite, the softlite is welded on 3 sides will a mechanically fastened sill if I recall, where the Sunrise frame is not welded. In general, I DO strongly favor a welded frame, but Sunrise does a darn good job with their design on the door. Again, I'd say either will serve you quite well.

On dealers, getting a manufacturer recommendation is best. A dealer that purchases direct from the manufacturer and does so in volume (both good things for you as a consumer), will carry one of their higher tier window lines. Restorations or Vanguard in Sunrise (or in this case I believe Solace fits that as well), and Elements or LS in softlite.

Rcs

#23 Post by Rcs »

Thank you HomeSealed for clearing that up for me. And also thank you for the great advice on the dealers.
Since the Sunrise is not welded, then how do they guarantee their air infiltration numbers...meaning when the patio door is installed, how do they fit the pieces together to insure no air leaks around the frame?

WindowsDirectCinci

#24 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

The sashes are welded. The frames are knock down(meaning screwed together in the field). The frames use rubber gaskets at the corners where the screws are to ensure a water and air seal. I'm not sure about the soft lite door but the Sunrise door has an air leakage rate of .02cfm (you can't really get much better than that) In my experience patio doors with a mechanical or knock down frame generally have better sill designs than a fully welded frame.

Rcs

#25 Post by Rcs »

Thank you WindowsDirectCinci! That helps with me visioning how it all works. I have had such bad luck with installers hopefully when I finally do replace them in the spring the company I chose will do a great job. I wish one of you experts could be in Michigan to do the job for me :D

Rcs

#26 Post by Rcs »

Are there any installers in Southeast Michigan that you would recommend to install the Sunrise patio doors? A few I have contacted do not come to my area. I don’t know if this is a question that is acceptable to ask on this board.

HomeSealed

#27 Post by HomeSealed »

It is acceptable RCS, unfortunately for whatever reason we have not had any pros from Michigan contribute to the forum, at least not anyone that's hung around. The site does have a function for finding pros that you could try, but its unrelated to those of us that post.

Have you contacted Sunrise for a direct referral? Sorry if you stated that somewhere earlier.

Rcs

#28 Post by Rcs »

Thank you HomeSealed. I have gone to the Sunrise website and had to put in my information and a contractor did contact me, but he did not serve my area. I will try to call them directly. Thanks again for all that you pros contribute to this website, it is priceless for us homeowners.