Sunrise Window Questions

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Mailman

Sunrise Window Questions

#1 Post by Mailman »

Hello, I just had a central Ohio Sunrise dealer out to the house for a quote. When I called them originally it was because they were a Trimline dealer, our original windows are wood as well with most having 16 divided-lites, but they mentioned they also carried some nice vinyl replacements in the Sunrise line that might blend in nicely. Our number one goal is to try to retain the character of our current windows.

After I set the appointment, I did some research on this forum on Sunrise and now think their Restoration window might be the way to go. When the dealer arrived today, I started our walk thru with the thought to him that I was leaning towards the Sunrise Restoration and he replied that was just a marketing gimmick with the different titles and his windows were Sunrise. But when I mentioned if they had the fiberglass inserts, he said no. I am thinking after seeing how Sunrise operates with their dealers on this forum, he can only sell the basic Sunrise. First question, how much better is the Restoration and can I turn a basic into a better window with options? I have left a message with Sunrise to see if they can connect me to a central Ohio dealer that reps the Restoration line to get another quote.

Which leads me into my second question. As mentioned, we really like the multiple divided-lites on our old windows and Sunrise seems to have a good solution with their Simulated Divided Lites option, but I was shocked when the dealer said Sunrise charges $25 per lite. That is $400 per window before you even factor in the cost of the window. Is that what others have found? If so, I guess I will be pulling out the old extension ladder and paint brush :P Thanks in advance.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Sunrise Window Questions

#2 Post by masterext »

Mail man
I would start off by asking if he would make a deal with you. He comes down on the SDL grid price and you might consider delivering his mail on time.lol
SDL grids are notoriously expensive. as far as reinforcement, i definitely prefer it. The restorations will be a stronger window, there is no disputing that.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Do you really want SDLs? They are expensive and his pricing is not out of the normal range on that at all. You should price out a Marvin Ultimate with SDLs as a comparison...and be sitting down.

Mailman

#4 Post by Mailman »

Thanks for the responses. It is a 1940's salt box style two story with the casement windows being the distinguishing feature. I just don't think my well being with the wife would survive such a big change. Any thoughts on another manufacturer taking into consideration the SDL's? I was down this road before about 15 years ago, three window paintings later and a different user name. I appreciate the help then and now viewtopic.php?f=1&t=413&p=1900&hilit=cherry+wood#p1900

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

No sweat. Glad to see you back and still home improving...

Mailman

#6 Post by Mailman »

The window manufactures industry is terrible in the way they restrict their lines per area and I think Columbus Ohio is the worst. It appears in Central Ohio (43215) you can only get a price on a standard Sunrise, but yet I want a price on Restoration. Even when I contacted Sunrise direct, asking specifically for a different dealer in my area that handles their Restoration line they sent my information to the same Sunrise dealer I met previously, who told me that the label "Restoration" was a marketing gimmick only after he agreed his Sunrise window had no fiberglass inserts and no foam fill.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am not sure that is any different from any other product distribution network to be honest. It is just that on certainly "purchasable" goods, you can go around stuff.

When I went to buy a safe, I was forced to deal with the safe vendor in my area even though I was not thrilled about that. If I wanted the product that I wanted, I had to deal with them.