Soft Lite Element vs Slocomb vs Window World?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
salamary

Soft Lite Element vs Slocomb vs Window World?

#1 Post by salamary »

Hi...

I've received 4 quotes from the companies below and the more I research my options, the more I'm worried I'll need yet another quote with another hour long presentation. I don't know if I can sit through one more of those. Okna windows keeps popping up in my search and I wonder if I need to find a Okna dealer to really decide if we're picking a decent window.

I've pretty much discounted the last quote, but still trying to decide between the Soft Lite Element, Slocomb 177 and Window World 4000 series. I'm leaning towards the Element, but it's such a big price difference from the other 3, I wonder if it's worth the higher price.

We live in Essex County, NJ. Haven't considered how much longer we'll be living here, but I'd say 10 - 15 years.

15 double hung windows, 6 with grids
2 picture windows

NJ Window and Siding, Element $12950
DuraPlex, Slocomb 177 $9250
Window World 4000 series Solar Zone Pkg $7950
Private contractor, Mi Windows, $8510

Ricknez

Re: Soft Lite Element vs Slocomb vs Window World?

#2 Post by Ricknez »

I would immediately scratch MI Windows and Window World from that list. They are not what we would consider quality. MI windows and Window World are for “ budget oriented” customers, not those who want quality and plan on living in their homes for a while. MI and Window World are cheap looking and have poor air infiltration ratings,
Slocomb is basically average I guess. The Soft Lite Elements is the best window on that list by far.
I would definitely get just one more quote and at least see the Okna Window. Its a nice looking window and built very well. It will be less than the Elements i believe. There should be an Okna dealer in your area. A quick google search of okna windows nj should get you one.
Last edited by Ricknez on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

JonnySTL

#3 Post by JonnySTL »

Yeah, MI Windows are complete garbage. I'm in the process of replacing their contractor grade windows in my house and it's been overdue way too long. Things are literally falling apart from the inside out and they couldn't hold a slight breeze out. From all my research, Window World may not be much better. Soft Lite is a very well-respected manufacturer and their Element window is towards the top of their pecking order with some good numbers. Okna is not available in my area. Make sure you do your homework on the installer too.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

That Elements window really is the best of that group...but a long shot. And that is not because the others are total garbage, but it is a really good window. It is at LEAST 30% better of a product that the next window in that comparison. And at that price, not a bad number to boot.

salamary

#5 Post by salamary »

Thanks everyone. The Element windows was definitely my top choice. I’ll see if I can get a quote on some Okna windows before I make my final decision. Really appreciate the feedback.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is the home located? The performance equivalent to the Elements is usually thought of as the Okna EnviroStar.

salamary

#7 Post by salamary »

Just had someone come and show me the Okna 500 Deluxe window. Lives a couple miles away so he stopped by on his way home from work. Originally quoted $10,500, but said because I'm so close and wants the local business, he'd bring it down to $9800.

I asked him about the 800 and he said the only difference between the 800 and the 500 was the 800 had a "wood look" option for the interior frame.

15 double hung windows, 6 with grids
2 picture windows

Okna 500 Deluxe: $9800
NJ Window and Siding, Element $12950

Are both windows comparable? Is the Element still the clear winner by a large margin? If they're close, I'd rather go with the lower price. I liked the look of both windows, but, if I remember correctly the Element had a thicker frame. Thanks for all your help so far. It's appreciated.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Okna 500 is a great window and if you don't need a metal lift handle and interior laminate, certainly a good window. Better on any on that list save the Elements and its a close equivalent at that point.

If you like the dealer and don't need that option of a metal hardware and laminates, you can't go wrong.

salamary

#9 Post by salamary »

Windows on Washington wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:23 pm Where is the home located? The performance equivalent to the Elements is usually thought of as the Okna EnviroStar.
Computer battery died before I could post my response. We’re in Essex County, NJ,15 miles outside of NYC.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

The 500 is a very good window but the Okna 800 does have more structural features and is also a bit more robust. Its not just about looks and woodgrain options. The Okna 600 is similar to the 800 and also has some more engineering features that make the window stronger than the 500 series in my view and at a very similar price point as the 500 so its worth a look.
We have been using the Okna 600 fo a while and its a remarkable performer. I like how the 600 has structural reinforcement and a sill interlock. Its very similar in performance to the Elements but at a better price point. We also really like the 800. If you saw the Okna 600 or the 800 for that matter, you would love both of them.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You should reach out to MasterExt. Good guy steering you right.
theWindowNerd.com

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Talk to Paul at AGM. The Okna 600 or 800 are better comps for the Elements, both will have the same or better performance and with more glass to boot. Even more though, dealing with a great installation company is supremely important and AGM is highly recommended.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

That close to Paul...gotta call AGM. Nobody better in your area.