Provia Endure vs Aspect vs Soft-lite pro - Please help !!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
atul_patel

Provia Endure vs Aspect vs Soft-lite pro - Please help !!

#1 Post by atul_patel »

Hello,

I need to replace 16 windows in my SF in Northern Virginia and 4 out of which are 36X75 and one picture window is ~ 42X65. I have got below bids from different installers in my area and am getting little confused as to what are my best options

Provia Aspect (upgraded with Neopor insulation and dual tech locks) - $9995 (The installer rep is willing to do the Endure also within the same price however his argument was that there wasn’t much difference between these windows after I got those 2 upgrades. I researched on Provia’s site and his argument does make sense from the info I could gather from their website. Also Endure windows have thicker sash limiting the glass area by little bit. I wanted to go with Endure and had almost decided to pull the trigger but then realized that their lower window has block and tackle balance which relies on Nylon cord and could be a problem with time, however Aspect has Constant Force balance on both the windows and seems like that is more durable and robust of all the balance systems in place currently)

Soft-lite Pro Series - $9920 (from different vendor - The Provia installer (above guy) said they had been doing Soft-lite in our area for last 10-15 years, but the company hasn’t made any upgrades to their windows and hence they have moved to Provia.)

Okna 500 Series - $15226

Zen Lotus (Soft Lite Pro series) = $12975

Window Nation - $10000 (Grandview)

I am almost close to making the decision on Endure, but would appreciate your guidance. Also haven’t seen softlite pro yet, as the vendor wanted us to go to their shop to view the window. From energy efficiency numbers perspective, I think all Endure, Aspect and Soft-lite pro are on par.

Let me know your thoughts and help me with my dilemma.
Last edited by atul_patel on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Provia Endure vs Aspect vs Soft-lite pro - Please help !!

#2 Post by masterext »

The Endure and the Aspect have the same exact performace numbers which are pretty good. The Aspect is a nicer looking window with a more narrow frame allowing more glass. It also comes with some very nice locks which can be upgraded to duel tech locks.
A lot of homeowners including some pro’s think the aspect is a step down from the Endure but thats not really true. I used to think it was a step down until I saw it and saw the specs. Both come with structural reinforcement and interlocking sills for structural enhancement. What is your pricing on the Endure and Aspect?
Are you getting grids? Grids are about $65.
Last edited by masterext on Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

I prefer the Endure over the Aspect. I did a single Aspect for a friend's mother a few months back as she had a damaged window and ProVia had the fastest turn around. I optioned the constant force balance in it thinking her being a senior would find it smoother and easier to operate. It was the total opposite. I much prefer their block & tackle compound tension balances. I wouldn't worry about the cords failing, that doesn't really happen unlike what other window salesman will tell you that only have a unit with constant force balances. Each balance has a pro and con with block and tackles being a more premium balance in my opinion. If a block and tackle does fail, it's a 2-minute swap-out unlike a constant force which sometimes requires a full surgical extraction married with cardiac rib stretchers. The Duo-Tech locks are the way to go as well. ProVia has the ugliest blue white bulky cheap tilt actuators on the Aspect standard.

atul_patel

#4 Post by atul_patel »

Thanks Masterext and Delaware Mike for your inputs and helping me reach a decision. !!

I just got a quote from same installer and as he had said, he is giving Endure also at $9975. I am going to see if I can negotiate about 700$ which he has included for rotten wood allowance and replacing 4 sills just because of the size of the contract. And yes, I am getting Colonial Flat grids in Endure too.

However I didn't see any difference between 2 windows even on Provia's site except for the balances and neopor insulation being standard. The energy numbers are also pretty much same and also both the windows were quoted at ComfortTech DLA-UV, which made the decision little difficult.

JonnySTL

#5 Post by JonnySTL »

Ok, so I just had a 18 (actually 16 with 2 on backorder) Endure windows installed and after reading your posts about Endure and Aspect being identical, had me scratching my head. I'm fortunate enough to have a 27" monitor and brought brochures up for each model side-by-side. Here's what I'm seeing:

- Endure has Integral Interlock at Meeting Rail and Aspect does not. This is kind of like 2 long strips built into the sash frame most of the the length where the bottom half meets the top half that interlock with each other forming, I would think, better elements protection. I'm sure someone on here can explain a lot more eloquently than I can!

- Dual Tech locks are standard on Endure but upgrade on Aspect as you already mentioned.

- Neopor insulation standard on Endure but upgrade on Aspect as mentioned.

- Endure has Extruded Aluminum Screen Frames vs. Rolled Form on the Aspect. From a quick search, looks like Extruded Aluminum should be better. But both come standard with the BetterVue screens.

- Looks like several additional color options on the Endure, but that's probably a non-starter for you.

- Double-check the glass packages on both brochures and with your Provia dealer. Looks like DLA-UV is available on the Endure, but not the Aspect. Glass packages look slightly different between the two.

My other thoughts would be:

- Ask yourself if you really need grids. The windows I replaced had colonial grids and I had a hard time moving away from any type of grid, but glad I did. First, saved me some money and second, really opened up the front of the house where most of the windows are. Also, if you go no grids, you forget about that thicker frame /sash real quick.

- My dealer offered me the Endures with with constant force or block & tackle.

- I had the Endures up against the Zen Nirvana / Lotus as well and with the DLA-UV package, the U factor and SHGC on the Endure was a better value than the Zen (and Soft-Lite for that matter).

- Also, I remember when talking with the Zen guy, that Soft Lite is moving to Cardinal glass as their supplier and that they will no longer be offering the SuperSpacer and going to an Intercept (stainless steel) spacer. I did a lot of research on different types of spacers, but at the end of the day, I preferred the SuperSpacer (non-metal) solution.

Again, these are all comments from a fellow consumer such as yourself and how I saw things. Plenty of folks on here with a ton of industry expertise!

Oh, and if you want to see how the Endures look installed with no grids, check my Window Replacement in STL thread. Have a bunch of pics of the Endures up.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

There are more differences between the Endure and the Aspect, not just the tilts. The Endure is a heavier, stronger window.
The price he gave you is already super low, i dont know how he would come in lower on the Endure.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Often it will cost more to upgrade the lesser window to what comes standard on the better window.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

As stated above, the differences between the Aspect and Endure are deeper than what is laid out on the website or brochure. The Endure is a decent window. The Aspect is more of a price point option, with bells and whistles removed, I wouldn't recommend it. The Softlite pro is dated, but when fully upgraded its not bad either. Some would say that its good at what it does. Keep in mind though that these are B level windows at best. While they can be a fine choice for the right price, they are often priced either similarly to a better window, OR priced super low because there is a drop off in more than than just the window (ie: possible red flags about the installing company).

The Okna option that you have is the best product of the group IMO, but I'm guessing that the higher price point has it lower on your list. You may not be able to get it for the same price as a lesser window (nor should you), but perhaps that is negotiable? Its not a bad price at all... Lastly, give some weight here to the reputation, history, etc of the install company as well. A quality install is supremely important, as is a company that will be around to service you on what should be a 30+ year investment... Along those lines, if by chance Windows on Washington serves your area, I'd highly recommend contacting them. Great group over there, can't go wrong with product, install, or the organization which has a stellar reputation.
Last edited by HomeSealed on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mkn

#9 Post by mkn »

JonnySTL wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:31 pm Ok, so I just had a 18 (actually 16 with 2 on backorder) Endure windows installed and after reading your posts about Endure and Aspect being identical, had me scratching my head. I'm fortunate enough to have a 27" monitor and brought brochures up for each model side-by-side. Here's what I'm seeing:

- Endure has Integral Interlock at Meeting Rail and Aspect does not. This is kind of like 2 long strips built into the sash frame most of the the length where the bottom half meets the top half that interlock with each other forming, I would think, better elements protection. I'm sure someone on here can explain a lot more eloquently than I can!

- Dual Tech locks are standard on Endure but upgrade on Aspect as you already mentioned.

- Neopor insulation standard on Endure but upgrade on Aspect as mentioned.

- Endure has Extruded Aluminum Screen Frames vs. Rolled Form on the Aspect. From a quick search, looks like Extruded Aluminum should be better. But both come standard with the BetterVue screens.

- Looks like several additional color options on the Endure, but that's probably a non-starter for you.

- Double-check the glass packages on both brochures and with your Provia dealer. Looks like DLA-UV is available on the Endure, but not the Aspect. Glass packages look slightly different between the two.

My other thoughts would be:

- Ask yourself if you really need grids. The windows I replaced had colonial grids and I had a hard time moving away from any type of grid, but glad I did. First, saved me some money and second, really opened up the front of the house where most of the windows are. Also, if you go no grids, you forget about that thicker frame /sash real quick.

- My dealer offered me the Endures with with constant force or block & tackle.

- I had the Endures up against the Zen Nirvana / Lotus as well and with the DLA-UV package, the U factor and SHGC on the Endure was a better value than the Zen (and Soft-Lite for that matter).

- Also, I remember when talking with the Zen guy, that Soft Lite is moving to Cardinal glass as their supplier and that they will no longer be offering the SuperSpacer and going to an Intercept (stainless steel) spacer. I did a lot of research on different types of spacers, but at the end of the day, I preferred the SuperSpacer (non-metal) solution.

Again, these are all comments from a fellow consumer such as yourself and how I saw things. Plenty of folks on here with a ton of industry expertise!

Oh, and if you want to see how the Endures look installed with no grids, check my Window Replacement in STL thread. Have a bunch of pics of the Endures up.
@JonnySTL I am looking to replace my windows in my townhouse. I am also in Nova. I am looking for reasonable Quote both for Provia Endure windows and installation. Please let me which contractor you went with.? Also if you had the double hung windows replaced. Pleas send me some pics. I see that Provia Endure has less glass and more frame.

masterext

#10 Post by masterext »

mkn
Since you are in NOVA, i would reach out to “windows on washington”. The owner Eric is a very smart guy and runs a tight ship. He has very good products and will surely steer you in the right direction. I would give them a call at the very least. I would also recommend looking at Okna since its a solid window and isnt bulky like the provia.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd second that recommendation for Windows on Washington, best in the business.

I'd also mention that you probably won't have much luck if you are looking for pricing similar to those 2020 numbers, there have been astronomical price increases across the industry since then.

SCKeith803

#12 Post by SCKeith803 »

I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole of window shopping the last 4 months. It’s hard to jump the gun on one window when you have a 13,000 budget for 13 windows and studying the pros and cons of all these different companies. I was about to go with a local dealer on the Great Lakes comfort smart it’s within our budget got quoted 12,725 but I just get get over so many mixed reviews online. Just as many bad as good. Have a reputable company that deals with provia coming Tuesday to talk to them about the Provia aspect line with a couple upgrades. Just hoping I can get under the budget that I am looking for. I see better reviews in quality with provia than Great Lakes and the provia windows seem to look a little better from what I can gather online