Vinyl Replacement Windows in STL

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl Replacement Windows in STL

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like the research paid off.

Good work on your part and congrats on the project.

JonnySTL

#17 Post by JonnySTL »

Just added some more pics to the gallery from the past 2 days. Absolutely a night and day difference as you can see from the pics. Still have 2 more to be replaced - 1 double hung with tempered glass that is taking a bit longer and 1 regular replacement. The 2nd replacement met an unfortunate demise when the installer was trying to navigate over some landscaping in the front and the window bit it. With 16 of the 18 being replaced I have noticed an immediate improvement in heat loss in the house. It was in the high 70s / low 80s Tuesday and Wednesday in St. Louis. Today it was in the 50s / 40s. The temp in the house this morning was 69*. Right now it is 68*. With the old windows, would've already been in the low 60s without running the heat.

Additionally, noise levels have been greatly reduced. I've seen some other posts recently about minimizing outside noise. I used to hear every car drive by. Now, I just hear larger trucks and the like faintly. And, I can actually see out my windows now!!

Many thanks to Windows on Washington and the other regulars on here for the advice. When doing my research, I think I went back 12-13 pages looking at threads. The Endure windows are meeting my needs so far, love their look, their numbers, all that good stuff. But, here's the thing, I think anyone going with a highly recommend window (Sunrise Restorations, SoftLite, Polaris, etc.) would see these same benefits. Yes, it's worth it to invest in a better brand and research the hell out of your dealer / installer. Mine was a tight family knit group local to STL and you can tell these guys flat out care.

Here's the pics link again:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eXUZPmTig5wRfQ9x9

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

Looking good.

toddinmn

#19 Post by toddinmn »

Well keep in mind you did go with a recommended brand that I think us in level of mist if those or slightly below and way better than what most use. The sound reductions and energy reductions would almost mirror what you have with other top brands.

Mailman

#20 Post by Mailman »

Congratulations on your new windows. They look great in the pictures you shared. I appreciate all the information you have provided on your decision making. I think choosing replacement windows could be one of the most overwhelming tasks, especially if you like to research all of your options. Thank goodness for this board.

I saw that you recently posted to the thread Provia Endure vs Aspect vs Soft-lite pro - Please help !! that you debated about getting colonial grids like you had before. I have a ProVia dealer coming out this week and I am looking at the Endure line with the external Simulated Divided Lites (SDL) and was wondering if your dealer by chance gave a price per each Lite on a window? When I had a Sunrise dealer out my jaw dropped when he said each Lite was $25 and I was originally thinking 16 Lites per window :cry:

One other question, if you don't mind. In that same post you replied "you forget about that thicker frame /sash real quick." What do you think the width of the replacement frame/sash on the Endure is? In my old wood windows I currently have a frame/sash width at the sides of 1-1/2" and at the top/bottom 1-3/4". I am trying to visualize how a 12 Lite colonial would look versus my current 16. Or maybe go to a Single Prairie or Cottage style.

Thanks again for your posts.
Last edited by Mailman on Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnySTL

#21 Post by JonnySTL »

Hey there, Mailman, will try to answer the best I can here. On the grids, SDLs, we didn't even bother asking for a quote on them. Had researched grids before going in to get quotes, and Mrs. and I agreed we didn't want them. Then, knowing there was additional cost, made it even better. Old windows had grids, and don't miss them one bit. However, we are probably more on a contemporary look.

As for the the frame / sash measurements, here's what I got for one of my double-hungs:

- Sides 3 3/4"
- Top 3 3/8"
- Bottom 3"

Old windows:

- Sides 3"
- Top 2 1/4"
- Bottom 2 3/4"

Yeah, when I look at them, I can notice they are a little wider / heavier looking than what they replaced. But, it's all about within an inch on those measurements, so it's not like you're giving up a tremendous amount. Think the no grids really opened up the view. I think the only grid pattern I would've gone for is the 3 over one with 3 vertical dividers on the top half and nothing on bottom. Again, would be more on the minimal side.

Mailman

#22 Post by Mailman »

Thanks JONNYSTL, with your columns and beautiful brick out front, going away from the busy look of the grids in your windows, really makes the front of your house standout. Ours is more of a salt box style 2-story home with the windows being the striking feature. I appreciate the measurements of the widths of the frames/sash. I am looking at the casement style since our current windows are casement, but would have to think the frame/sash width around the window would be the same as your double hung? Once again I appreciate your help and will post about my experience with a central Ohio ProVia dealer later this week to help others.