Marvin Elevate,Mezzo, Zen Nirvana and Sunrise Restoration

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rosedev

Marvin Elevate,Mezzo, Zen Nirvana and Sunrise Restoration

#1 Post by rosedev »

I've gotten 5 quotes for about 30 builder grade wood windows put in around 1988. 20 double hung, 6 picture windows. Marvin quoted me 42k total (19 for the windows and 23k for labor) and this would be a full replacement. Only a 10 year warranty on installation which seems not very long. I would really like the look of wood on the interior of the windows. I liked the Sunrise option but the salesman wanted me to make a decision on the spot, verbally quoted me $27k for all the windows using Restoration, called me a procrastinator and did not put anything on paper. Zen windows initially quoted me $19k for Joyce windows, and when I asked for Softlite I was quoted $24k. Finally Alside Mezzo for $16k. Window world was $11k. After all this I'm wondering if I should just get a window repair guy to assess the windows for any rotting wood he sees (I don't see any), and put some interior storm windows like Indow in, and call it a day. We plan to stay in this house for another 10years at least but I'm so confused on the pricing, that I'm not really sure what to do. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have read on a couple sites that Sunrise is a better window than marvin elevate but considering the Sunrise saleman I don't think I want to work with them. There isn't an Okna dealer where I live.

Windows on Washington

Re: Marvin Elevate,Mezzo, Zen Nirvana and Sunrise Restoration

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I wouldn't bother with the repair. The price on the Restorations isn't bad...but his tactics were.

Wouldn't bother with the Alside.

Which Soft-Lite window?

JonnySTL

#3 Post by JonnySTL »

One other thing to consider along with look and feel of the replacement window is their actual performance. Make sure you do your research on spacer, U values, SHGC, VT, CR, and Air Infiltration. A window can look nice and feel nice, but not accomplish it's #1 goal and that's keeping the elements out. When I was going through this process, I laid out a spreadsheet with cost, performance measures, etc.

At the time, I was extremely close to going with the Restorations. Based upon my research, it's consistently a top 2-3 ranked / recommended window. Yeah, with Zen you really have to transcode with Soft-Lite window they're quoting and what options come on it as they all impact a window's performance. And, maybe see if there's another Sunrise dealer in your areas. I had zero tolerance for the sales tactics such as those.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What town or city do you live near.

10 years on install warranty is crazy good.

What is your budget?
There is nothing like the look and expense of wood and there is nothing like the performance and much lower cost of vinyl.

On the surface the Elevate install price seems thousands of dollars high. See if you can fin another qualified Marvin installer for your quote. You know they can also be done as a pocket insert.

theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

@rosedev, where are you located? I'd agree with the other comment that perhaps there are other dealers of Sunrise and Softlite in your area, as well as WoW's assessment of the pricing. For my money I'd toss the Alside and Zen. The Marvin Elevate is a well made window, and a nice choice if real wood interior is a high priority. Based on your other choices I'm assuming that is not the case, so I'd probably move on from that one as well in favor of something with superior performance as JonnySTL laid out.

rosedev

#6 Post by rosedev »

Thank you all. I’m in the Nashville area. I called HQ sunrise to get a dealer. I’ll email again and see if there is another dealer. Another poster recommended a local Provia dealer that has a good install team. From what I read it isn’t as good a window as Sunrise or Marvin. The Marvin guy didn’t want to do a pocket insert. I’ll also look for another Marvin dealer. I appreciate all the help.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Why did he not want to do a pocket insert? Was it philosophical or was there a technical reason?
For us the cost difference in labor between an insert and a full frame is $250.