Replacement Options for Huntsville, AL

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Jmchan

Replacement Options for Huntsville, AL

#1 Post by Jmchan »

Hello!

We are desperate for replacement windows and are at our wits end! Only 2 dealers in the area for Marvin (all fiberglass) and they want around $2,000/window ($80K for 40 windows; mostly dh). That is way out of our budget and feels like price gouging in this COVID era. So even though I hate the look of vinyl windows, it looks like this is most likely the only option to fit within our budget. However, the North Alabama are appears very limited in brands/availability. I did find a company that I can buy Marvin, Anderson, JeldWyn, and Windsor but they don’t have installers. I found an installer but he wanted around $25K to install the Marvin on top of the $29K for the windows. So, the only viable options I have found to date are:

Simonton 5500 at ~$20K installed
Joyce Nirvana at ~ $25K installed
Sunrise Restoration at ~$42K installed (awful sales tactics and the price was “discounted” by about $20K :roll) and said it could be 6 months before they could get to the job!

Any advice? We are desperate at this point. I don’t want ugly windows but want to be practical. Also to note, we want to put our house on the market in a few months.

Any suggestions on dealers/installers in the area and best windows for the price are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Replacement Options for Huntsville, AL

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What is the market value of your home?

If you are not doing a wood interior why bother with the extra cost and lower performance of the fiberglass window?

The thing that got my attention was that you want to sell in the next couple of months.
With that being said do the 5500. Make sure the workmanship is good, inspect every window for fit and finish before making final payment.

theWindowNerd

Jmchan

#3 Post by Jmchan »

Thank you, Thewindownerd!

If vinyl is acceptable to most buyers then I agree. I just wasn’t sure how receptive buyers would be of vinyl windows. I have been researching and trying to get quotes for months. There are just very limited options that I have been able to find in the north Alabama area. With that being said, which of these would be the better choice for esthetics and quality? (We do not want stark white windows.)

1) Zen Nirvana manufactured by Joyce
2) Simonton 5500
3) Wincore 7700

I saw a good video of A Windsor Classic option but I’ve been told that they are only available as a full window replacement and would be very costly.

I know that glass, spacers, reinforcement rails, etc are important. The house is around 23 years old and has the original (cheap) wood windows that have been an ongoing problem since we bout the house about 15 years ago. They are shot. This is such a ,rage amount of money I just want to make a good choice.

Thank you so much...I really appreciate your time!

Jmchan

#4 Post by Jmchan »

I apologize. I just saw your first question. Home value is ~$550k.
Thank you!

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Since you are immediately selling the house I would do the Simonton 5500. If you were going to remain there for 5 years I would make a different suggestion.

theWindowNerd

Jmchan

#6 Post by Jmchan »

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

@jmchan: I know that this isn't what you will want to hear, but I'd suggest another quote or two. In a half-million dollar home, you are right to worry that low end windows will look out of place, and make no mistake, $500 windows ($20k ish for 40 units) is a very low end price.

-The Marvin window is not inexpensive. That price does not sound all that crazy depending on options and installation style. The laws of supply and demand do have prices up right now, but its not "gouging". Manufacturers and their suppliers are paying higher wages to try and keep production steady along with shipping rates, and those costs are passed along to dealers which are then passed along to you. There's also a skilled labor shortage, where in some areas quality installers are practically auctioning their services to the highest, most desperate bidder.

-The Restorations option is a nice window at what sounds like a competitive price for a high end product. While "high pressure" tactics are certainly frowned upon, he may be the only one that is being upfront with you in stating an extended and /or uncertain lead time. If you can find a similar option (Sunrise, Softlite, Okna, Polaris, etc) from a highly regarded and established local dealer, that would be ideal IMO.

The other option of course is to repair your current windows as needed to prepare for sale. The feasibility of that would depend on how bad they are. I wouldn't spend $15k or some high number on completely restoring them, but a couple grand to replace some seal failures and rotted wood, paint or stain touch up, etc might be money well spent.