Window installation- spray foam insulation

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Mpls1

Window installation- spray foam insulation

#1 Post by Mpls1 »

I have had two double casement windows (basement egress) recently installed in the basement my house in Minnesota. For one of them, the contractor installed the Sheetrock around the window before spray foam insulating. I brought this to their attention and asked them to remove all the perpendicular drywall surrounding the window and then spray foam (as they had done for the other window and as the inspector had indicated), but they only did so on the bottom, and spread foamed the small (1/2 inch) space between the interior window frame and the perpendicular Sheetrock (egress window).

I’m concerned this was not properly installed and that it will be drafty when the temperature drops as it does here in MN. My question is whether my concerns are not justified and that this installation was done correctly.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Window installation- spray foam insulation

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There is not enough information for me a to asure you about drafts.
If the units have fins and were back caulked and then the exterior sealed/caulked you should have no drafts.

Was foam specified in the contract?
Why was one done and not the other? How was this discovered?
What did the GC say about it?

theWindowNerd.com

Windows on Washington

Re: Window installation- spray foam insulation

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any pictures? How is the outside sealed? How was it installed in the concrete opening?