quote question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MattFoCo

quote question

#1 Post by MattFoCo »

Hi all, I guess I'm a window noobie. So, we got a quote for MilGard fiberglass windows, signed a few weeks ago, waiting for better weather. Today, we got this:
We have identified that the existing windows you have installed currently are a different frame depth than the new Milgard Ultra windows we will be ordering. This means more work will need to be done to make sure the windows are installed correctly with a quality finish. We will need to replace the jamb and casing around the 13 openings. We will also need to paint the interior trim after the new windows are installed. This requires more in labor and material costs that were not accounted for when you signed the contract.
The added cost is $250/window. They looked at the existing windows 3 times. There is nothing unusual about the construction of the house. It's standard 2x4 studs, so what do they mean by different frame depth? I think they should have known about this extra cost before. Replacement of the casing is something we had talked about before and we had told them to use the old trim as we were going to replace all the wood trim in the house anyway (so we certainly don't want it painted but that's another issue).

My question is are they jerking us around or are they just incompetent? i.e., assuming they couldn't figure out what the job was after having been to my house so many times, is this a reasonable request?

Thanks.

HomeSealed

Re: quote question

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like you have existing windows that are under 3 1/4" jamb depth, which is what the vast majority of replacement windows are. While its possible that you could be getting screwed around, its definitely not a foregone conclusion. Most sales guys don't really understand what is needed to install a window in that application. I'm guessing that they came back with a more technically savvy person, then had some discussion internally on how to proceed.

Not sure if any other options were discussed, but there are generally some other possibilities that could involve downsizing the window etc. Need to know more details to really be able to advise on that, but then again, maybe this company only offers one option. I'll say this, that price for fully finished jambs and casing is very reasonable.

MattFoCo

#3 Post by MattFoCo »

As I said, it's standard 2x4 construction, just like every other house in my town. That and the last time we've seen anyone from this company is when we signed the contract so nobody else looked at the house. At best I think they screwed up. They made a lot of mistakes specifying the windows so I think it's time to be done with this company.

Of course, I'm not even sure how that works because we signed a contract for a lower price.

Right now it's impossible to get someone that can work on a house. I think it might be a good idea to wait a year.

Anyway, thanks for your explanations, it did help.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

The depth of the window can be different regardless if it is 2x4 or or 2x6. Not sure if they screwed up or not but it sounds like they did not communicate well. You did say they looked at the house 3 times What Homesealed said makes sense . When in doubt go with your gut or reach out and ask for clarification. If your existing windows are single hungs then the frame depth is probably different.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It seems to me that the salesman does not know the difference between an insert install and a full frame install. The salesman and the ownership should have cleared this up before issuing a contract. Either this is a new sales person, a one off, or a bad company to deal with.
My initial suggestion is to cut and run.
I would also suggest if you like that window that you contact another dealer and ask for a technical sales rep. Continue on because lead times are crazy and prices are volitale.
As to trim, it is tricky to reuse existing casing for ful tear outs, you need to reverse enginneer the window sizing to fit the trim. Painted or unpainted still means primed finger jointed ( or MDF). Make sure have an understanding about this with the contractor. Style, width, wood or MDF, stain grade or paint grade, stools, etc.
Keep us in the loop. It will be interesting to see how they handle this.
theWindowNerd.com

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

MattFoCo wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:58 pm As I said, it's standard 2x4 construction, just like every other house in my town. That and the last time we've seen anyone from this company is when we signed the contract so nobody else looked at the house. At best I think they screwed up. They made a lot of mistakes specifying the windows so I think it's time to be done with this company.

Of course, I'm not even sure how that works because we signed a contract for a lower price.

Right now it's impossible to get someone that can work on a house. I think it might be a good idea to wait a year.

Anyway, thanks for your explanations, it did help.
Its not the framing that matters (2x4), but the depth of the original window and way that it was installed.
Todd and Window Nerd made some very good points as well.

None of us has dealt with this company, know who it is, or anything about them, so we can't really say much more about what their intentions may be. If they a reputable company with some history, it might be worth exploring this a little more with them and perhaps they deserve some benefit of the doubt. OTOH, if its more of a fly-by-night that seemed confused and disorganized from the start, then perhaps not.

Depending on how long ago the windows were measured, possibly ordered, etc, you may have limited options in terms of getting out of the contract. That said, they'd be in a pickle in that case as well if they truly can't get this done without new wood work, because you are not obligated to that higher price. That doesn't mean that they have to do your wood work for free, but it does mean that working together to find some sort of compromise may be in order if the windows are already in production.

WindowsDirectCinci

#7 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Have the windows been ordered yet or was this after the measuring? Also you stated you are replacing the wood trim/casing so just have them remove & leave it off. Thats less work for you also you won't have to remove it.

MattFoCo

#8 Post by MattFoCo »

Thanks to everyone for responses.

We did talk to them and without getting into too much detail: They admitted they screwed up. They will eat the cost of replacing the jamb and the jamb extension. We will provide our own trim, which we want to be wood and I knew they'd never pay for. So, they covered most of their mistake and we get what we really want, except there's now a deadline on putting in the trim. My wife hasn't connected the dots yet but I will have until my daughter's wedding this fall to get the windows done.

They weren't jerking us around. In fact, my wife hit the nail on the head when she said we need to get the one guy involved that seemed able to make decisions. The person that told us about the price increase was new (apparently replaced the guy that didn't write the contract correctly) and doesn't quite understand what a contract means yet. The guy that can make decisions does, and did, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I do appreciate your responses. There's a bunch of new terminology I picked up and it helped talking to the guy.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

That is great news.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't ask for more than that.