Wrong window installed - what should I do?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jason_t

Wrong window installed - what should I do?

#1 Post by jason_t »

Hello,

I just had some replacement Marvin windows installed today in the Austin, TX area. They look nice and the install went well. This evening, I looked at the spec stickers for the windows (I got 2). One has the correct specs: Low E3 Argon with a solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) of 0.24. The other says Low E2 Argon with a SHGC of 0.35.

I looked at my contract, it specifically says both windows will be Low E3 Argon. The website at the bottom of the post, among others, states "Texas requires a maximum of 0.25 SHGC" for my location. I'm surprised Marvin would even ship a non-compliant window to Texas.

I'd like recommendations as to what I should do now. They're installed, the work is done, and I've paid for them. But, the contract clearly says I don't have the correct window. Is this a big deal, or should I not worry about it? I could demand the window be replaced with the correct window, or ask for a partial refund of some amount, or something else. I don't really understand how important this is and how demanding I should be with the window seller.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

http://www.texaswindowsinitiative.com/c ... 0zone%204.

Windows on Washington

Re: Wrong window installed - what should I do?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why type of windows are they (i.e. operator style)?

Are the windows near each other, in the same wall?

jason_t

#3 Post by jason_t »

They are both picture windows; no moving parts. The windows are directly touching (2 mulled together to fill one open space), the 2 panels of glass are about 3 inches apart (the width of 2 window frames)

Oberon

#4 Post by Oberon »

When you look at the two windows side by side can you see a color or shade difference between them?

jason_t

#5 Post by jason_t »

Yes, a slight difference. They're mulled vertically, so you dont get the identical view through both at the same time. I don't think I'd notice the difference unless I studied them closely, or I was told they were different.

I think my main point of concern is not the view, but the energy efficiency and this rating being "not allowed" in Texas. Is that concern off-base?

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

I would have them replace the glass. As far as performance goes it’s a pretty big difference that would be more noticeable On a large window.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Definitely will have to change the glass. The reflection will be different from the exterior.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with the other pros, although I'd only mention another possibility that the wrong sticker was placed on your glass. That happens from time to time. Marvin's windows generally have an etching in one of the corners of the glass, you should see a reference to the Low e type in that etching. If they match, no worries, wrong sticker. If they don't, contact your dealer and request that the glass be replaced with the correct unit.

jason_t

#9 Post by jason_t »

Thanks for the tip on the etching. Yep, the one window is wrong, one says LoE 366, the other says LoE 272. The wrong one is quite a large window: 106" x 65".

These are Marvin Essential windows. Not sure if true or not, but when I bought them the sales guy told me that glass doesn't get replaced on this line, just need to replace the entire window.

I'll contact the seller and try to get replacement glass.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

While we have sold and installed some windows in that line, I haven't needed a glass unit replaced so I can't say for sure. I'd be surprised if the glass can't be replaced on its own, there are very few windows that are "built around the glass" for the very obvious reason of service down the road, but I could be mistaken. One of the other pros may be able to confirm. I would say though that they owe you the correct glass that you ordered regardless of how they need to make that happen. There is a meaningful performance difference between them and the appearance is noticeable as well.

Oberon

#11 Post by Oberon »

I had the same thought as HomeSealed, hoping that maybe you just had the wrong sticker that's why I asked if you could see a difference. And as WoW noted, the difference would be a lot more noticeable from the outside looking in.

jason_t

#12 Post by jason_t »

Thanks for all the ideas and help. I contacted the window seller, they've agreed to have the glass replaced with replacement glass from Marvin. They've said the glass is indeed replaceable (no need to replace the frame also), hopefully that's accurate and there aren't any long-term problems due to breaking that factory seal.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Glass replacement is common, I'm sure that you are in good hands if this is a reputable company. Glad to hear they are taking care of it

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yep. Totally normal and doable. Good to see it getting replaced. Should make everything perfect.