Need help identifying double-hung windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Jacobian

Need help identifying double-hung windows

#1 Post by Jacobian »

Hi all,

I recently purchased a home in Washington, DC, that was built in 2006. I want to know what my options are to revise/maintain or replace the existing wooden double-hung sliding windows. However I am having a hard time identifying the manufacturer/brand and are turning to you for help.

I examined all the glass panes and no etchings with codes can be found. On one window (out of eight) I was able to find a NAMI sticker. I attached a photo but the printed information on the sticker is kind of hard to read. This is what I made out of it:

NAMI
NFRC 100/200
CODE: PAT(VA)
SPEC: NFRC
SERIES: PREFDH
MST: 3856
PAT-M-042 (but this could also be FAT-M-042 I guess).

I have been searching online but have no luck at all finding the manufacturer or window type. I have downloaded the NAMI/NFRC database but none of these codes above seem to be listed. I also noticed that Andersen Windows sells windows with a code 3856, which is the Narroline Double Hung Screen, but I am not sure what MST stands for.

I also tried to identify the window using the dimensions, with no luck. I have listed these below:

Bottom sash
  • Visible glass width x height: 27-5/8" x 23-5/8"
  • Overall sash width x height: 30-5/8" x 27-7/8" (wood frame on the sides is 1-1/2" width, bottom is 3", top is 1-1/4")
Top sash (is divided by a vertical grid in the middle)
  • Visible glass width x height: 27-5/8" x 23-5/8" (with a 7/8" width vertical grid in the middle)
  • Overall sash width x height: 30-5/8" x 26-7/8" (wood frame on the sides is 1-1/2" width, bottom is 1-1/4", top is 2")
Overall height of the window is 53.5" (the 1-1/4" wood frame part overlaps between bottom and top sash)

The last piece of information that I have is that the jamb liners are a compression type. So you need to firmly press on the liners in order to pop out one of the sashes. I believe the material of the jamb liner is vinyl, but not 100% sure.

Can anyone help me out with this? That would be much appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_4515.JPG

HomeSealed

Re: Need help identifying double-hung windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Can you post a couple pics of the window overall? Andersen's should have identifiable markings on the glass and/or window, so if you aren't seeing that it probably not Andersen.

What are the reasons that you are contemplating repair vs replace? In general, refinishing 15 year old wood windows is not the best investment, but there can be exceptions if the work needed is minimal.

Jacobian

#3 Post by Jacobian »

Thanks so much for your response! I attached a few additional pictures of the windows, hope this helps.

There are no markings at all on the glass. Both my wife and I have checked all windows and could not find anything. On the frame we cannot find any markers either, but the frames seem to have been painted over, so it could be that these details are hidden under a coat of paint.

It is a good question regarding repair vs. replace. After moving in we were negatively surprised by the state of the windows. The issues we experience are 1) lack of soundproofing, 2) drafty windows (so probably poor insulation as well). In one of the pictures you can actually see that the top sash is no longer properly fitting in the window frame, it does not seem to be square.

If we can fix these issues with a repair then that would be my preferred option, but if that is not possible then replacing would be something we would consider as well. I would also be interested in performing some weatherstripping on the windows, but not sure if that will be effective.
Attachments
IMG_4553.JPG
IMG_4556.JPG
IMG_4554.JPG

Jacobian

#4 Post by Jacobian »

In my previous post I could not attach more than 3 pictures, so here are the other 2.
Attachments
IMG_4552.JPG
IMG_4555.JPG

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I run across windows locally to my area that look like that from a manufacturer M & W. They glazed with PPG Intercept. All homeowners hate them and can't wait to replace them.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to DM's advice. I can't say for sure, but MW is definitely a possibility. They are now owned by Plygem. More importantly though, reconditioning these back to their best performance as if they were new likely won't yield a huge improvement in the areas of your concern. If you said peeling paint, and couple glass units fogged, that would be fixable, but poor performance is an inherent quality of these windows in all likelihood. If any are of square, that only confirms the need to replace.

Jacobian

#7 Post by Jacobian »

Delaware Mike and HomeSealed, both thank you so much for your advise. I will research some more in the direction of M &W and/or Plygem. However, I hear your concerns and it does makes sense to me that patching these up may likely not result in the improvement I am looking for.

About being of square: I am not sure if the frame is of square or if it is the compression jamb liner for that window that is end-of-life (I hope the latter). That top sash actually slides down if I apply just a little pressure if I don't engage the sash lock.

Would you be able to advise me on the best replacement options I have given my complaints about the current windows? I know for that full frame replacement vs. insert replacement are both options. I would like to keep the exterior of the house as much as possible the same as it is now, but care less about the interior aesthetics. I have attached two pictures of the current condition of the window frame.

I also measured the windows screen that I have for these windows, those are 31-7/8" x 54-7/8". The frame itself seems to be 5" deep. Not sure if these are standard sizes. I have tried calling Windows on Washington, but they don't seem to service DC itself unfortunately.
Attachments
IMG_4561.JPG
IMG_4558.JPG

Jacobian

#8 Post by Jacobian »

I have requested a quote via replacement-windows.com but have not been successfully connected to a company so far. I am still interested in replacing my windows with in-frame replacement windows and would like to know if that is something that is possible with the condition my current frames are in.

Also, if anyone could refer me to a reputable window company in the DC area that would be much appreciated as well.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You should reach out to Windows on Washington. Eric the owner post on this site everyday.
Just google the company and reach out to them.
Tell them theWindowNerd say hello.

wayne theWindowNerd

Jacobian

#10 Post by Jacobian »

Thanks, I did reach out to Windows on Washington by phone but the agent on the phone told me that they do not work in DC. If possible I would like to get in touch with Eric/Windows on Washington to discuss my options and to get any recommendations. I do want my windows to be replaced by a reputable company but so far I am having a hard time locating one in DC.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Jacobian,

Email me directly with your information.

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

Thank you.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think we got him pointed in the right direction now.