Picking windows

Share your experiences with others
Josh2772

Picking windows

#1 Post by Josh2772 »

To try and keep it short and sweet I’m replacing my old builder grade windows to 12 double hung windows. I have 3 bids so far.

Starmark 7500 - $15,000 currently but they are coming out Saturday to see if they can offer a better price. We’ll see

Khpp meridian or Kensington quantum 2 - $9,000

Sunrise vanguard - $10,000
offered the restorations at about $12,500 we didn’t really talk about that window much.

Opinions appreciated

Delaware Mike

Re: Picking windows

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I like them all. I'm not sure how the Heatmirror on the Quantum 2 is holding up long term? If you have larger DH's in regard to width, the sill will be much stronger on the Starmark over the Vanguard. I like the Vanguard price though, it's a window I've been installing since 2006 with great success and I get virtually no service calls on them. I've sort of replaced it with the OKNA 800 and 500 series as I think Sunrise is demanding top dollar for their products to us dealers due to them wanting to be the top name in vinyl brand recognition. I do like that that they utilize Cardinal Glass and spacers.

Josh2772

#3 Post by Josh2772 »

Delaware Mike wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:07 am I like them all. I'm not sure how the Heatmirror on the Quantum 2 is holding up long term? If you have larger DH's in regard to width, the sill will be much stronger on the Starmark over the Vanguard. I like the Vanguard price though, it's a window I've been installing since 2006 with great success and I get virtually no service calls on them. I've sort of replaced it with the OKNA 800 and 500 series as I think Sunrise is demanding top dollar for their products to us dealers due to them wanting to be the top name in vinyl brand recognition. I do like that that they utilize Cardinal Glass and spacers.
Unfortunately my okna dealer will only sell me the composite window. I wanted to get a quote on the 800 series but unfortunately can’t

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

The 7500 is a game changer IMO, if you haven't already disqualified it based on budget, its an exceptional window. Performance, appearance, strength, glass area, and so on. Top of the line in just about every possible area. We've sold many, many vinyl windows including Okna's other lines, but we now do more of the Starmark 7500 composite line than anything as it checks every box people are looking for.

If the budget can't accommodate that (keep in mind, windows are a 30+ year purchase), then the Vanguard is pretty good. The KHPP window is nice and gets good numbers, but the Heat Mirror is a cool concept that has failed the test of long term durability, not to mention that company has a rocky history to some degree. IMO, I'd drop that option in favor of the other two.

Josh2772

#5 Post by Josh2772 »

HomeSealed wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:09 pm The 7500 is a game changer IMO, if you haven't already disqualified it based on budget, its an exceptional window. Performance, appearance, strength, glass area, and so on. Top of the line in just about every possible area. We've sold many, many vinyl windows including Okna's other lines, but we now do more of the Starmark 7500 composite line than anything as it checks every box people are looking for.

If the budget can't accommodate that (keep in mind, windows are a 30+ year purchase), then the Vanguard is pretty good. The KHPP window is nice and gets good numbers, but the Heat Mirror is a cool concept that has failed the test of long term durability, not to mention that company has a rocky history to some degree. IMO, I'd drop that option in favor of the other two.
I did really like the 7500 but I don’t really want to spend 15k on windows in a house I don’t plan on staying in forever. I’m leaning towards the vanguard

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Homesealed is correct. That 7500 is the nicest window out there now. You will like the Vanguard and the Sunrise warranty is outstanding, probably the very best in the entire window industry on planet earth, and transferable to the new owners of the property!

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Mike what do you like better about the Sunrise warranty?

Do you see a difference with amount of stress crack between Sunrise and Okna?

theWindowNerd

Josh2772

#8 Post by Josh2772 »

What do you all think about the okna 600 series for $9000 vs the sunrise vanguard?

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

The Okna 600 is better than the Vanguard based on window alone. If the price is lower and its still a trustworthy, established company, that's an easy choice imo... I will say this though, they are close enough that if you feel like the Sunrise dealer will do a better install, they are more trustworthy and reputable, etc, then that could sway the decision.

Josh2772

#10 Post by Josh2772 »

They are about $1000 apart in price. West shore home is the okna dealer, they seem to have good reviews online but that’s about as much as I know. I do also like the sunrise dealer

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

West shore is one of the largest companies in the country, you can feel pretty secure dealing with those guys. Did they give you the Starmark quote as well? Which market are you located, they have several locations now.

Josh2772

#12 Post by Josh2772 »

Yeah they gave me a quote for the starmark, it was around 14,500. And I’m in central Kentucky. Just outside of Lexington

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Gotcha. Based on the company, the product, and your situation (not your "forever home", but still wanting a good window) I'd say it sounds like a winner. Fair price for sure, I've seen that window sell for hundreds more.

Josh2772

#14 Post by Josh2772 »

Sounds good. Appreciate all the help!

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

Let us know how the project goes. It's always helpful for folks to hear follow up from other consumers that have completed projects.