Help deciding on vinyl replacement windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jason0876

Help deciding on vinyl replacement windows

#1 Post by jason0876 »

I know, I know... another "I need help deciding" post. I apologize in advance. I've done so much reading, reviews, etc. that I'm in a position where I just can't decide.

I've got 7 double hung windows I need to replace in my 1940s bungalow in Atlanta, Ga. I've spoken to Davis, VisionAire, EntryPoint, Zen, Apex and Home Depot (I ruled out what they offered).

Here's what I'm looking at:

SUNRISE
Essentials - $4200
Sunrise - $5900
Verde - $6750
Restorations - $6200

SOFTLITE
Elite - $6800
Pro - $5400
Barrington - $5300
Classic - $5075

ALSIDE
Insignia (From Apex) - $4850

WINDSOR - $5614

ZEN Nirvana - $4550

For the most part, I've been happy with the companies I've spoken to with a couple minor exceptions. I think they will all do a nice job with the install and all have decent reviews online. Initially, I wanted to stay in the $4k-$5k price range. I'd love to hear your thoughts -- what to stay away from and what I probably don't need for my old house. I do plan on staying in the home for several years.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

HomeSealed

Re: Help deciding on vinyl replacement windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

From best to worst:
SL Elite
Restorations
Verde

Sunrise/SL Pro

I wouldn't consider the other options. I left a space after the verde as well as imo there is an extra step of drop off at that level, I'd recommend staying in that top 3. Its hard to say how good the pricing is without knowing every last detail of the project, but based on getting a few good quotes, it looks to me like you probably went to expand your budget a little bit to improve the odds of long term satisfaction.

jason0876

#3 Post by jason0876 »

Thanks for the response, HomeSealed.

I certainly understand trying to go with the very best window. However, if I were to go with a SL Pro series or Sunrise/Sunrise, would that be a mistake? I would assume not, since those weren't eliminated by you from the get go. The Restorations is over budget at $6200, so going with the SL Pro at $5400 may be the best option for me. Any real downside to going with the "Honda" instead of the "Mercedes?"

Thanks again!

Jason

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Oh no, do not get them started on cars.

Of the units you have mentioned I would go with the Restoration. I would contact the dealer and ask if there is anything you can do to lower your cost. One option may be to offer real cash.

theWindowNerd.com

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

What Honda are we comparing to what Mercedes?
The Restorations and Pro are the value winners here IMO.

jason0876

#6 Post by jason0876 »

Uh oh! Did I open up a can of worms with my car comparison! I'm sorry :shock:

I am leaning toward the SL Pro - for budget reasons. Restorations will be about $1K more (I was able to get them to knock a couple hundred $ off the Pro).

Am I going to regret this decision - or will I be happy with the SL Pro?

Thanks everyone!

Jason

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I think the Pro is a very good window and better than 90% of them out there. Sure it might meet slightly out dated when compared to some, but I think it is very at what it does?

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

Nothing really wrong with the Pro. It's very, very, "vanilla" from a visual aspect. Older platform from SL. It has a nice sill and has a narrow sash vinyl profile. They work nicely and and if your main concern is the most from the least investment, I think you will not be unhappy with them. I think SL has just switched over to Cardinal Glass and either the Cardinal XL Edge or Endura spacer which are both stainless steel and excellent spacers in regard to longevity.

I like the look of the base Sunrise better with it's exterior frame profile, sash detail, recessed/mortise curve lever locks and shark fin tilts. This window also features Cardinal glass and spacer. The sashes have an extra row of weatherstripping on them over the SL Pro, however the small air leakage disadvantage performance is like splitting frog hairs. Sunrise hates interlocks, thus their sill and sash meeting rails don't feature them from an engineering design. They compensate with extra weatherstripping and tight tolerances.

I think it's a "flip of the coin" scenario in regard of which window to go with. I'm a visual guy, thus I kind of like the Sunrise more so than the pro. If the windows are of a wider nature, the SL will have the stronger sill with it's face dam and sill interlock.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

I think Soft-Lite is with Guardian glass now.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

The Polaris “ Ultimate 2” with argon is triple pane and gets a .18 U value. That is a very good number with argon.
Ultimate 2 plus with krypton is a .16.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

"Would it be a mistake?"

Hard to say for sure. Depends on what your expectations are. If the Restorations and the Elite are Mercedes, the Pro is a 2014 Accord with leather, an aftermarket stereo, and some modifications that helps it keep up with the newer cars despite the somewhat dated design and technology. The base Sunrise is a 2021 base model Accord. Vanilla but newer and pretty well built.

The base Sunrise and the Pro are not bad windows. As mentioned above, they are better than most. The real question is which option is the best value. I can say this for certain, on product alone, the Restorations is worth much more than a $300 premium over the base Sunrise, and for my money I'd say its definitely worth the $800 premium over the Pro as well. If the company installing that option is established and reputable, I'd say that provides the best value here. Closest thing to a Benz at a Honda price for certain.

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

The 2014 Accord just might be the winner, it would depend on what Benz and what year we comparing it to . Value wise Honda is going to beat Benz every time depending on the parameters of comparison. My last Benzs sucked and I’ll never own another unless I win the. Lottery

jason0876

#13 Post by jason0876 »

Y'all are too funny with the car comparisons!

My prices for the 7 DH windows are as follows:

Restorations $6200
Sunrise $5900
SL Pro $5200

I'll keep you posted!

Jason

jason0876

#14 Post by jason0876 »

I met with the SL Pro dealer this morning and the price went up $225 because A) I have shutters that will need to screw into the capping, and B) I have 2 old security bars on two windows.

Speaking of capping, any pros/cons to doing it? I have the option.

Jason

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Capping:
If done well it is a good thing.
If done poorly it can harm your house.
Not an easy answer to apply.

theWindowNerd