NE FL - Assistance Needed

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ihearttacos

NE FL - Assistance Needed

#1 Post by ihearttacos »

Pros-

I’ve been following for a while, but I’m getting closer to the point where I need to make a decision, and I’m looking for your perspective for a NE Florida window and door project. My understanding in obtaining bids, is that impact resistant is NOT a requirement here.

Need:
Replacing all (original) windows and doors on a 25 year old house.
Around 20 windows of varying sizes, including a normal sized half round, and a larger half round with legs.
Two sliding glass patio doors, one about 8 ft the other about 10 ft.

Received:
Multiple quotes from various places, ranging from $20k up to $58k.
Window World: 4000 Series - around $20k
Miracle Window: Regency Conservation - around $50k (may have been impact based on the presentation)
Renewal by Andersen: unsure of model(s) - around $58k
Eastern Architectural (EAS): 1400 Series windows w/ 650 Series doors - around $21.5k
CWS Aria (SH) 610 windows w/ Aria 8800 doors - around $24k
Soft-Lite Barcelona (SH) windows w/ PGT 5470 doors - around $28.5k
CWS Aria (DH) 650 windows w/ PGT 5470 doors - around $29k (different installer than 1st CWS bid)
CWS Aria (SH) 610 windows w/ PGT 5470 doors - around $27k (different installer than 1st CWS bid)

Note:
If quality is no different, I don’t have a preference on single vs double hung.
I plan on being in this house for the next 20 years. No urges to sell anytime soon.
I’d like to do this once, correctly.
I understand CWS and PGT have a bigger presence down here than some other companies.
I know little, but have read good things about Soft-Lite.
I know even less though, about Soft-Lite’s Barcelona line, which one bid specifically calls for.
I can’t find a lot of information about EAS, and their site is less than accommodating.
I’ve pretty much ruled out RBA, WW, MW.

Looking for recommendations overall, and in terms of value. Is there any reason to pay the Soft-Lite premium? Is EAS a great deal here? Or is a package that includes CWS and PGT my best bet for my circumstances here in NE FL?

Sincerely,
Taco Lover

toddinmn

Re: NE FL - Assistance Needed

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Are all the bids for impact glass?
Maybe get a bid with PGT windows and doors.
I’m not familiar with the Barcelona line . They are impact rated but not sure if they are based on an existing line or it’s own design. The air numbers are very good which makes me think they are based on the LS/ Element Platform.

ihearttacos

#3 Post by ihearttacos »

Actually, I didn’t seek out impact windows as it appears it is not required for this part of the state, and I don’t think any of the above are impact window quotes. I think the one CWS door (Aria 8800) is because I don’t think CWS has a non-impact door.

Nobody down here immediately recommended (to me at least) a full PGT bid, I think in part due to lengthy lead times (what I was told).

I think I’m leaning towards CWS over Eastern Architectural, but I’m hung up on the Soft Lite Barcelona. Seems like most opinions on SL are favorable, however I found less on the Barcelona line and more on the others (Elements, Imperial, Pro).

I’m trying to get a gauge on if there’s any additional value or benefit in the Barcelona, given the cost difference between this bid and the CWS and Eastern bids.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

Everything I read about the Barcelona indicates it is an impact Window. Are you sure?

ihearttacos

#5 Post by ihearttacos »

The installer locally initially pushed Eastern. They also offer CWS and Soft-Lite, so I asked for bids on both.

It’s the CWS Aria bid at the top with the Arian door coming in around $24k, and the Soft-Lite Barcelona bid around $28.5.

I read the Barcelona brochure, and agree it reads like an impact window, but I also noticed they have a class D and class C, where D carries the HVHZ rating. I assume this bid is C given our location, but I haven’t been able to circle back to my sales consultant yet.

Trying to determine if the Barcelona bid (regardless of which level of protection) is worth the slight premium.

Oberon

#6 Post by Oberon »

The C and D in the Barcelona options reference impact test requirement/performance based on ASTM E1996.
Level C refers to a 4ft, 4.5lb, 2x4 launched at 40fps
Level D refers to the much more common 8ft, 9lb, 2x4 launched at 50fps