Lotus by Soft-Lite, Okna, and Sunrise

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
drachnor

Lotus by Soft-Lite, Okna, and Sunrise

#1 Post by drachnor »

Looking for some input as our quotes are quite varied. We have a number of windows - 17 double-hungs, 1 picture, 1 picture with casement flanks, bow window with 5 pictures and 2 casements, 1 smaller casement and a larger patio door (~100 W x 80 H). We've gotten 3 quotes so far, unfortunately not exactly apples to apples since the Okna quote is double pane (I'm guessing the quote would go up a few thousand dollars).

Okna 700/800 series double pane: $42,900
includes windows and patio door, quote wasn't itemized

Zen Lotus triple pane: $26,000
Provia double pane patio door: $4,700

Sunrise Restorations triple pane (N3200A/S2100A glass): $42,500
Sunrise Restorations patio door: $10,500

The Lotus windows are compelling at the price point, but I'm not sure how the quality compares.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Lotus by Soft-Lite, Okna, and Sunrise

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Zen is an outlier. Either the other two are way off or the Zen is.
I would take the Okna in this case.

theWindowNerd

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

The answer could be somewhere in between. Has Zen actually been to the property? Are all the installation details and methods the same? I would consider a few more bids.

drachnor

#4 Post by drachnor »

No, Zen hasn't been out yet. All are pocket installation. Going back through the Okna quote, several of the Window sizes were way off (too small), and we'd likely need more tempered glass windows in that quote as well. But that would increase the price. That's all accounted for in the Zen and Sunrise quotes.

We haven't been overly impressed by the companies so far, and these are the highest rated companies in the area. Part of it is the sales tactics (on the day our initial Okna quote was set to expire, he was "authorized" to extend an extra discount if we signed) but also wrong measurements in the quotes - are those usually the final measurements? Would we get the wrong sized windows delivered?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

I never heard of anyone putting measurements in a
quote? No one I know ever does that, whats the point.
He is giving rough measurements just for pricing. They will probably send an installer for final measurememts once the contract is signed.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Its not uncommon to list a "sales measurement" in the quote/contract and no, those are not final. I wouldn't put any weight at all on that aspect. You will almost never find the final measurement on a contract as its generated by a measure tech sometime after signing in most cases.

As far as pricing, you have two very good to great options, and one so-so--and from a company with many question marks as to their business model. You could seek out a third option for another great window, maybe Softlite Elements or something along those lines, but I suspect it will only serve to reinforce the pricing that you've already seen. IMO, drop the low bid and focus on the two good choices that you have. It would be best to compare those apples to apples ( get numbers for either double or triple pane on both). It seems to me that the Okna will likely come in a little less and with an advantage in strength/performance, however the installation quality and dealer reputation can carry enough weight to tip the scales as both are good.

drachnor

#7 Post by drachnor »

Thanks for the response. I think we're going to start with some updated quotes and go from there.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sales tactics drive me crazy.
We are so straight forward no pressure, there is no need for the lies and arm twisting.

the Nerd