Replacing original vinyl construction windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
joestein514

Replacing original vinyl construction windows

#1 Post by joestein514 »

My new home is 20 years old and has what I think are vinyl new construction windows.

I went to see my local OKNA window deal, Ace Home Improvement (use to be Ace Aluminum). I asked about the Okna 800. They quoted me $725 a window installed on 30 windows.

However, after explaining that the original constructions windows were vinyl, the salesman told me that you can't replace original vinyl construction windows with vinyl replacement windows. He told me that I would need to rip out the old vinyl window completely and replace with a new construction vinyl window.

He told me the Okna 800 isn't a new construction window and that he could install a new construction Okna 500 for $750/window. I have bricks on the front of my house and siding on the sides and back. He said he would have to see the bricks to know if he would use a replacement window for that vs new construction window.

He also said that the Okna 500 is just as good as the Okna 800, with just a bit thinner vinyl.

What is everybody's thought on needing new construction windows vs vinyl replacement windows?

Thanks,

Joe

toddinmn

Re: Replacing original vinyl construction windows

#2 Post by toddinmn »

The existing vinyl window does need to come out. Sometimes the window frame is removed by cutting the nail flange off. When this is done a new window without a flange is installed. It can also be done with a new window with nail flange. Which way is best depends on site conditions and other factors. Pretty sure the 800 can be had with a nail flange. You should have them come out and give a bid based upon site conditions and have them propose a bid and explain how they are going to install them. To do this over the web I’d need more details and pictures. Important details would be the depth of the existing window frame, Do the existing windows have window trim around them or are they sided or bricked right up to the frames. Pictures about 10 feet back from both sides of the window would be helpful.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Accurate advice from Todd. The Envirostar 800 does have the option from OKNA to be as a new construction flanged unit by OKNA sending out 14' lengths of field cut and applied nailing flanges. One has to purchase them with the windows per piece and that might add about $25 max per window plus the 30-minutes per window to miter, blind caulk, set into the window frame so that it becomes an integral part of the unit. I have to charge for that time and we have adding these flanges for about a decade now.

The 500 is actually called the 550 when it has an extruded nail flange already on the frame. Same window though. There are bunch of differences between the 800 and 500. However, they share the same glass, balances, locks, tilts, foam filling if as "dx" optioned window, and screens. The biggest cosmetic difference is the sculptured metal sash lift handles on the 800 verses full vinyl extruded rails on the 500/550. No magnetic bottom seal, sash meeting rail reinforcement, a little thinner frame, an less top sash to head cavity "catch" tech on the 500.

I do more 550's in your application if one needs new construction. I'm guessing that the masonry crew probably ran the bricks right to the vinyl windows without a trim board system as that's what they all do in my area in a home of your era? If so, you will need a regular replacement window so the 800 will still be an option. Spray foam and proper sealing of the new windows to the brick will be very important since you're removing a flanged window and installing a non-flanged window because no one is removing brick to get a flanged window back in place. We do virtually the same sized unit too as I don't care for downsized slips in your situation.

That pricing seems very low given current price increases and labor circumstances?

joestein514

#4 Post by joestein514 »

Here are some pics of the windows in one of the bedrooms. This is a vinyl siding wall. I will get a pic of a window in the brick front.

I know it is hard to tell from the pic - but the sash is bowed. Sorry about the first pic doubled - I couldnt figure out to revmove it.
PXL_20210530_124839694.jpg
PXL_20210530_124839694.jpg
Attachments
PXL_20210530_124900172.jpg

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Nice interior trim detail. Appears to be 3/4" wood jamb in a 2x6 construction.
I would use the 800 in all openings.
An advantage to a slight down side is able to foam properly and finish off the exterior carefully.
theWindowNerd