Quote Advice

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
KUNOT

Quote Advice

#1 Post by KUNOT »

After reading the forums I got in touch with the only company that sells Softlite Elements locally.

The quote was for $38,000 for 25 windows total.

Double hung - 6 qty - Frame Size 35 1/4" X 71"
Double hung - 3 qty - Frame Size 43 1/2" X 71"
Picture - 2 qty - Frame Size 43 1/2" X 47 1/2"
Double hung - 6 qty - Frame Size 35 1/4" X 47 1/2"
Double hung - 5 qty - Frame Size 43" X 70"
Double hung - 3 qty - Frame Size 35" X 70"

Exact same quote of Pella Impervia (which I know is not popular here) was 24k.

Does that seem right for 25 windows installed?

toddinmn

Re: Quote Advice

#2 Post by toddinmn »

We have zero details and 2 different products from unknown entities. If I Was to judge this purely on the information provided I would say the Soft-Lite bid is very high and the Impervia bid is closer to the norm. The Soft-Lite is the better window for sure, but that price seems ridiculous especially since the cost per unit is fairly similar. You need more bids pure and simple. To make a recommendation between these two with the information provided is like choosing a method of your execution. If you want an exact answer with what you provided I’ll go with the Pella since length of ownership is around 7 years and if stay longer you may be able to afford to replace them once again at the Soft-Lite prices.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

As Todd said, more info is needed.
What type of installation?
What are the product colors and options (int & ext color, grids, hardware style and color, etc etc)?
What glass package?
Some of those are rather tall, any tempered glass included?
Any interior woodwork included?
What type of exterior trim?

If these are white pocket replacement with double pane glass I'd agree that this sounds high, but those other items and circumstances can easily drive the price up by hundreds per window, and they may not be apples to apples between these two products either.

Try to get everything lined up apples to apples as far as product and installation options between these two, and possibly get another quote or two for comparison as well. That should all bring clarity to the situation.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

"We want black interior window frames and are leaning heavy towards fiberglass. This is a mix of double hung and single hung windows. About 35."
The above from your prevoius post.
What changed between 25 to 35 windows?
What are the colors?
Can you find a Marvin dealer/installer to get a bid on Elementents?

theWindowNerd wayne