Window replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
CG8

Window replacement

#1 Post by CG8 »

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. Planning to replace my existing vinyl windows. But I am getting two different suggestions on what kind of replacement it should be. i.e. "New construction" vs. "replacement". Installers gave two different suggestions. Not sure what makes a replacement project go one way or the other.
My understanding so far is that after selecting a good window, proper installation is the key.
Would also appreciate if you have any recommendation on installers in central NJ.
thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Window replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Take some pictures of the exterior.

CG8

#3 Post by CG8 »

thanks! sending the exterior pictures..
Attachments
Room 2&3.JPG
Room 1.JPG

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

To do new construction/ flanged window they would have to remove Some of the siding. This should not be done with windows with brick. What are the contractors that are proposing new construction windows proposing to do with the Bricked in windows ?

CG8

#5 Post by CG8 »

I am giving below the exact quote from one of them who said that all three windows have to be new construction.
"the windows that you have now are builders grade vinyl windows that are mulled (joined) together and cannot be replaced individually as replacement windows. We need a full frame double window unit to correctly replace these windows. Full frame windows are referred to as new construction windows because they don’t have a replacement frame. The installation of the units with vinyl siding around them will require us to also remove and re-install the siding around the windows because the frame must have a butyl rubber flashing seal that prevents water and air infiltration. As a company policy, we will not install replacement frame windows in this situation because they will definitely leak.
The other installer said that all three windows will be done as a replacement.

Ricknez

#6 Post by Ricknez »

You don’t need new construction from what I can see. I think a good replacement window would be fine. What the one company said about “ the windows being joined together” and therefore not able to be replacement is complete nonsense and almost laughable.

CG8

#7 Post by CG8 »

thanks! Wondering if there are any recommendations for installers in PA/NJ.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

Flanged vinyl builder's low-grade windows are best replaced with the same sized flanged windows, however the offset of the nailing flange to the interior face of the newer window will be different. Sheetrock or wood jamb extension plus the stool will need a slight cut back. This is messy and time consuming. Fully flashing the new windows to AAMA Installation Masters standards and drip caps is the only way I'll do that kind of job. The unit in the brick would need to be a replacement window measured simply brick to brick jiving up those measurements with the existing window and similar flanged windows. To cover any face perimeter extrusion accessory groove we utilize RWD peel and stick and then a smaller bead of sealant to the brick returns. I'm doing this same job now in Robbinsville and it's 12-hours a day of time consuming methodology being a couple of installers down on my crew.
t
An added benefit of the more expensive and comprehensive install like I've describes provides a WRB (housewrap/Tvek) and sheathing inspection underneath of the siding. There can be same bad stuff going on underneath of the siding and this is the perfect time to get things right when the replacement only goons want to limit their liability by not disturbing stuff. Expect the price for this to be up there.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Either method and product works when done well.
We would do a non fin install on all units. The units in the siding we would cut out with a sawsall leaving the fin buried under the siding. Would retro fit drip cap if needed. Set unit, foam perimeter, cap and seal exterior, seal interior. Haven't had any leak in 40 years.

theWindowNerd

joestein514

#10 Post by joestein514 »

CBG,

Do you happen to be in Marlboro Manse? Those look like windows and the homes there. I live there as well.

I am using Ace Aluminum to replace all the windows. I am getting Starmark EVO windows. All the experts here think they are great windows. All the windows with vinyl siding are getting a new construction installation. Remove the siding, nail new window into frame, reseal everything and replace siding. The brick front windows are being cut out as removing the bricks are not an option. I am paying $950 a windows, but I am doing over 30 windows. I am sure the price is higher if you only replace a few.

Joe

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Not sure of your exact location. But if you want a fin install by a superior guy I would suggest DE Mike. There is no better installer for fin installs with siding drop.

theWindowNerd

windowsbytoll

#12 Post by windowsbytoll »

Windows | Window Installation | Windows By T#$%

A quality set of replacement windows from Windows by T$&% are the best way to both enhance the curb appeal and energy efficiency of your home! Contact us today.

Double Hung
Easily one of the most if not the most popular window varieties you will find out there, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better mixture of style and function. You can operate both sashes on this window and really control the fresh air coming in and out of your home. Learn more about double-hung window replacement.

Board Moderator
Board Moderator

#13 Post by Board Moderator »

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the last poster. Combine that with their felt necessity to spam a board that is aimed at being informational, and I think most folks can form an opinion.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/windows-by-toll-stamford

Windows by Toll
331 Selleck St Stamford CT

Shady Business ALERT - BUYER BEWARE

We tried to replace a patio sliding door for the first time. We did an online search in the area like most new home owners would (unfortunately) and this company came out. Their website 'looked' great and the sales rep Chris on the line even 'sounded' nice. But it turned out to be shady business disguised underneath. After they did a measurement, they told us we needed a custom size door, which is costly. We were confused about the custom size and decided to get a second opinion. Thank goodness we did! A second vendor did a measurement and told us that our opening only needed a standard size door. We of course went with the 2nd vendor and got the exact same Anderson 200 door installed successfully last week with literally half the price (including tips). This shady company tried to jack up their price by lying to their customer about needing a custom size door. Dishonest and shameless biz practice. BUYER BEWARE.