Okna bow window install

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Denmick

Okna bow window install

#1 Post by Denmick »

I had a Okna bow window installed 50 x104 the window was too big had to make the opening bigger 15° angle I requested a cable system to be installed. The installer said he couldn't install the cable system I now have two 2x4s underneath the seat on the outside. The sides on the inside are not level. The center of the seat front to back is 19 inches and slopes down by a half inch using the level.
Other two questions on the bow seat on the outside should the underside be capped I see some houses they put capping on the underside.
On the Okna 600 series window the inside of the double hung does not go up all the way because of the stops and I've taken them off and they still do not go up anymore is there a way for the double hung window to go all the way up.

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna bow window install

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can we see some pictures. There aren't too many situations in which the turnbuckles can't be adapted for use.

That said, knee braces will certainly work here.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

The bottom of the bow/bay/garden seats with OKNA do not get capped. The plywood (dow foam board sandwiched in there) has a PVC veneer on the facing on it that provides the weather protection. We typically fill in 2" knee braces all of the way back to the exterior facing of the wall and clad with aluminum as that looks more professional that open lumber.

Denmick

#4 Post by Denmick »

I am trying to send two pictures and the seat inside with a level in the middle going toward the window which seems to be out at least a half an inch. The bow on the outside is pitched Into the center. I have a fieldstone front and the two braces just kill the aesthetics of the fieldstone. I was told when the contract was signed that I would have a cable system installed. I have on my security camera the bow being dropped out of the truck.
Attachments
IMG_20210809_184150789_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210809_184423222.jpg
IMG_20210809_184438872.jpg

Denmick

#5 Post by Denmick »

Here is the last picture that didn't come out in the previous post I am now looking at the picture again and doesn't even look like the windows set in the frame straight it looks like it's tilted to the right looking at it from the street
Attachments
IMG_20210809_184147461_HDR.jpg

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Have you contacted the outfit that installed the window? It's hard to tell but the reveals at the bottom look like the strike side is open from the hinged side. I could have made the cable support system work Why was it too big? If your walls are out of plumb and the installers just installed the face of the bow even with the face of the interior sheetrock/plaster you will get an out of level seat board. Installers will do this when they don't want to mess with the trim casing problems of gaps or without the skillset to cheat the trim.

I've had seat boards perfectly level and had to jack the bottom of the bow a little to make the sash reveals of the operable casements within tolerance of even reveals, this can throw the level off a tiny bit from perfect. A good carpenter will explain what's going on with their customer.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Bays and bows are difficult to do correctly.
As Mike has alluded are your walls plumb? This effects the seat board leveling and trim.
The cable system comes standard on the bay or bow. It would be extremely difficult to use the cable system with out redoing all the soffit. Along with that cables stretch over time. Knee braces when done right are a better option.

theWindowNerd

Denmick

#8 Post by Denmick »

The bow window was pushed through the opening and installed from the inside out and the left side would not go in and he had a cut around the frame and use a pry bar too get it fully into the opening. He checked the level at the seat never on the sides and saw that it was pitched down he put in knee braces on the outside never checked the level again inside. On the outside looking at the house from the street there was a 2 to 3 inch Gap in the soffit on the right side that is filled in with trim. A woman at the company called me late yesterday and said they would come over and level the window I told her the window was made to big and even the installer says it was and that I was promised a cable system and what I have now is unacceptable.

Ricknez

#9 Post by Ricknez »

To be honest, this looks ok to me. Sometimes the seatboard can get thrown iut of square a tad.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above.

- The knee braces are adequate for support. Was this discussed (and approved) during the installation, or did they not let you know until after it was done?

- What is the extent of the opening modification? If the structural support of the framing over that opening is in tact and the interior/exterior fit and finish is nice, that is probably not something to worry much about. There is trim installed around the sides and top, and I'm assuming that the stone wasn't cut back, so its not likely that anything meaningful was done there.

-Regarding plumb and level, as the other have alluded to that can get tricky. Your installers didn't construct the wall, so if that is out of plumb that can throw the bay unit out of level. Personally I like them set a little high, especially when cable systems are used, but the interior wall surface limits that to some degree and can dictate the final placement. The top trim height under the soffit looks relatively consistent on both sides suggesting that its not tipped one way or the other. It gets tighter in the center when the soffit is sagging, which appears to be the case here. It looks like your unit is tilted slightly down instead of up, but if they have someone coming out to raise that it should be able to be addressed (again within the limitations of the wall).

- Overall, while seeing in person could cause me to change my mind, I don't see any major red flags with the installation assuming that the windows function and drain properly, don't leak air or water, and have a professionally finished appearance inside and out. It sounds like your primary gripe is the knee braces vs cables, that may come down to what exactly is detailed in the contract and whether or not you approved that method during the install.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Are there four vents, 1 & 2 & 4 & 5?
Can not tell for sure from the picture, as Homesealed said being there in person would be best to evaluate, it looks like the vents might not be square in their frames. IF this is the case the whole bow will have to be jacked up and knee braces reset or shimmed. Much movement in this process MIGHT cause the top finish capping to move, if it will flex.
IF this all needs to be redone I would suggest closed and more solidly built knee braces. This window has a lot of weight and decent projection. Also attaching to the stone in difficult to get the rock solid support you want for knee braces.
theWindowNerd

Denmick

#12 Post by Denmick »

There are four vents 124 + 5 what concerns me the most is the way it is out of level from front to back on the seat as you see in the pictures. This is a 15 degree bow which sticks out even more.The latest from the installer he is going to spend he says three or four hours to put in the cable system and take out the knee braces. I will watch this closely and take pictures. Bottom of the seat on the outside is chipped on both ends whether it's from it being dropped or moved from the factory to the installer. To say there is nothing wrong with the Bow installation like some of the posts is beyond belief.

Ricknez

#13 Post by Ricknez »

It appears you are over reacting a bit regarding the install. You may want to think about letting the installer do his thing and refrain from taking pictures and hovering over him while he is installing. That is a huge distraction and to be honest, I would not permit that as it could also be dangerous.

Denmick

#14 Post by Denmick »

I just noticed something else about the install the 4 operating windows there is an uneven Gap when the windows are closed. I've looked at five other bow windows installed in the neighborhood years and years ago and the gap is pretty even nothing like mine. The operating windows were put in after the bow was installed.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

Since they are coming back out I’d address your concerns to them and inspect before they leave. Safe to say they will want to get every satisfactory in one shot.