Okna bow window install

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HomeSealed

Re: Okna bow window install

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

Denmick wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:00 am There are four vents 124 + 5 what concerns me the most is the way it is out of level from front to back on the seat as you see in the pictures. This is a 15 degree bow which sticks out even more.The latest from the installer he is going to spend he says three or four hours to put in the cable system and take out the knee braces. I will watch this closely and take pictures. Bottom of the seat on the outside is chipped on both ends whether it's from it being dropped or moved from the factory to the installer. To say there is nothing wrong with the Bow installation like some of the posts is beyond belief.
Sounds like a plan.

Please keep in mind that we are on the other side of a computer screen viewing a single photo from 15 or 20ft so as I and others have said, its hard to make a firm determination without seeing in person. I don't think anyone is suggesting that everything that is going on there is 100% optimal, but there is a wide range between an "acceptable installation" that they are obligated to provide, and one that is excellent. I don't want to speak for others, but I think the prevailing thought is that there are some things that could be improved, but characterizing it as completely unacceptable may also be a little strong.

The chips aren't visible in the pic, how bad are they? Have you addressed that with the company? If purely aesthetic, they may be able to cover those with some creative thinking, OR give you a few bucks off if you will accept them. I'd definitely address that now though if you haven't already, not after they make the adjustments.

You mentioned that you were told that a cable system would be used but it sounds like that was not specified in your contract? I also didn't see an answer as to whether or not you approved the knee braces during installation and reconsidered after the fact? If one or both of those is true, that reflects really well on this company as they are going above and beyond to attempt to make you a happy customer here. Hopefully they are able to get the window jacked up a little bit and add the cables, should be a win for all in that case. It certainly seems like they are making an effort and standing behind their work, that is not as common in this industry as you may think.

Denmick

#17 Post by Denmick »

This is for Windows on Washington , Homesealed and Delaware Mike. I've been following this forum for over 12 years. I need an education on how to put an Okna bow window cable system in. The installer came out today and said he wanted to lower the window and cut out my fieldstone front. I told him I have a radiator under the window and it cannot be done. How much room do you need to put a cable system in. There is a good possibility that we will have to reorder the window. They take 4 or 5 inches off the height on the new window the header on the inside would have to be lowered and the sheetrock filled in?? There are pictures posted and the bow window is right up against the soffit. Okna gave me this company to purchase and install my windows and they are supposed to be factory trained.The installers came out and even said the window is tilted down and they agreed with me the 4 operating Windows are not square in the the frame. I think the bow was twisted when it took them over an hour to try to get it into the opening. I ordered the windows on April 30th, it took over three months for the windows to come in.

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

I wouldn't lower the window nor should it need to be. Its common to set them up to the soffit. They need to cut the soffit open to access framing to attach the cables to. This will require replacement of a few soffit panels unless they can "finesse" the old ones off without damage. Normally that soffit is cut open and cable cleats secured prior to the window being fully set in place, so if they are going to try to do so without completely pulling the window, it may be tricky due to less access.

As far as the window itself, I also wouldn't worry about it being "twisted". Bay units are very wrackable to start given the weight and size. They aren't "straight" until fully secured and supported, that is all part of the installation and can still be rectified. Was other damage done at any point I can't say, but again, any twisting is all installation related.

It sounds to me like this crew may simply not be used to using cables on bays. That doesn't mean that they are unqualified, they may simply use the knee braces all the time. That's not to say that ARE a great crew either, that remains to be seen, I'm just saying that it can't be determined by their familiarity with cables.

Is this a "larger" company that would have multiple crews? If so, you might consider asking for someone that does have more experience with using the cables.

Lastly, on the lead time, that's pretty good actually. Many companies are running 16-20+ weeks these days, some window manufacturers themselves are 20+ weeks.

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Properly built and installed knee braces will fix the install.
I would not want to use cables for this install from the get go. even if i did it would be with knee braces, or I would have you sign off once the unit was in and correct that the cables stretching was not warrantied.
By the way, doing a sill drop and cutting out stone is a crazy idea for something fixed so easily.
theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

We prefer the cables install. The next service call will be our first, many installed over many years.

Just proves my point that that some guys prefer one way or the other, and again, I'd recommend someone familiar with installing using cables to ensure that its done right.

TheWindowNerd

#21 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agre with Homesealed.
No matter what it needs to be done correctly.
The cables have to be set and loaded with the units perfectly square then jacked ( bottle jacks and post do a nice job, as apposed to a lever, and not with the turn buckle) a pinch higher to allow for a little settlement and glass shifting.
theWindowNerd

Denmick

#22 Post by Denmick »

I like the fact then we have an active discussion between contractors. I bought these Okna windows because they are one of the best vinyl windows on the market today. I called Okna and they gave me the company that I had to use. I did not have much of a choice on who could put these windows in. Okna told me they train all the company's they use on how to install them. When I ordered the windows the salesman came to.my house we signed a contract he measured the windows and I pacifically asked him how the bow window was going to be installed and he told me with a cable system. Every window I've seen within a 2-mile radius of my house has a cable system I see no knee braces on any of those houses.

My situation now is up in the air. The bow window that is seen in the picture is way out of level with knee braces. The four operating windows when closed are not even all the way around. The tops of the windows are tight and the bottom of the window has a big space in it same on the two sides.
I would like Delaware Mike and Windows on Washington to chime in on this discussion.

TheWindowNerd

#23 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Whether the seat board is level or not is more an asthetic concern, as has been mentioned many times it depends on the plumbness of the walls. The sash need to be square in the frames ( preferably set a tad high).

The existing knee braces are poorly built and installed, thus they do not provide the support needed by the large window/weight/projection.

Hopefully all will go well with the next round.

toddinmn

#24 Post by toddinmn »

I’d be surprised Okna said you have to use a specific company. I don’t think Okna or most other window manufacturers have much of a training program if any.