Okna bow window call back

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Denmick

Okna bow window call back

#1 Post by Denmick »

The company that installed my bow window sent somebody out to look at it and he said we should probably replace the window. The owner came out and said we can take the window out take part of the soffit off and reinstall it. To take the bow window out from the inside he cut the bolts off that hold the cable system on the outside bottom because the bolts were hanging it up. To reinstall the window and use 2by 3's on the roof joist and screwed the top of the bow window into the 2/3. He cut the heck of the outside trim to get the window out.The fieldstone on the outside right the wire mesh is showing where he cut the fieldstone. Enclosed are pictures . I may have to post twice.
Attachments
IMG_20210908_171902835_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210908_171958073_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210908_172001406_HDR.jpg

Denmick

Re: Okna bow window call back

#2 Post by Denmick »

More pictures for the bow window
Attachments
IMG_20210908_171801526.jpg
IMG_20210908_171755252_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210908_171500013.jpg

Denmick

#3 Post by Denmick »

More pictures and he just leaves the soffit the way it is because he doesn't have soffit material on a truck I do not believe I should have to accept the way we install the window.
Attachments
IMG_20210908_171807540_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210908_172027484_HDR.jpg

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:11 am
Are there four vents, 1 & 2 & 4 & 5?
Can not tell for sure from the picture, as Homesealed said being there in person would be best to evaluate, it looks like the vents might not be square in their frames. IF this is the case the whole bow will have to be jacked up and knee braces reset or shimmed. Much movement in this process MIGHT cause the top finish capping to move, if it will flex.
IF this all needs to be redone I would suggest closed and more solidly built knee braces. This window has a lot of weight and decent projection. Also attaching to the stone in difficult to get the rock solid support you want for knee braces.
theWindowNerd
Should have listened and done knee braces correctly.

Now you need a new window, new soffit, and a new company to do it right. All of which is my opinion.
I am pretty sure they voided the warranty by cutting off the nuts and all thread.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Sounds like they sent someone out and gave an honest opinion and the owner is trying to save the job from being a total loss. I’d document everything thing at this point, use emails when possible. If you need to bring in another company my guess is it will cost you a bit more than your original price. Quite often old soffit panels can’t be matched , which could be another problem.

Denmick

#6 Post by Denmick »

The last two times the installers came out they told me there's nothing they can do the window is too big and the owners right hand man told me that you need a new window but I didn't tell you that I know the owner is not going to be happy. The owner came out and said to take the window out tear up the soffit and reinstall the window and that's when the damage was done the bolts cut off the bottom of the cable system and the window now is destroyed. The only thing holding the window up is four screws screwed into the 2x4 into the joist I stopped payment on the check when it was originally installed and I feel at this time for the lousy job and the destroyed window I owe nothing.I can get this soffit repaired . I want to do the right thing. I am sure if the owner replaced the window it would cost him at least $3,000 and it's going to cost me at least what I would have paid him and probably a lot more to replace the window .
He did get paid for six double hung windows Okna 600 series
Attachments
IMG_20210909_183124461.jpg

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Well this certainly doesn't seem to have been resolved...

- If they are stating that this is now complete, I'd agree that its best to hold onto your payment. Clearly this project is not finished, and may need an entirely new or reworked window. The individual windows are probably fine, but the box of the unit is on life support.

- Hard to say which party to believe between the owner and the workers here, or maybe neither. The installers seem to be in over their heads.

- Was the crew that did this the same as the original install?

- Why would they need to remove the unit to the interior side? Is there something blocking it on the exterior? If they installed it from the interior to begin with (which is weird), why would they need to cut bolts off now? If it fit through once it would fit through twice.

- Cutting the heads/nuts off under the unit pretty much renders the hanging cable install obsolete as an option.

- Why are these guys saying the window is too big? If it fits in the opening and can be set square, that doesn't make sense.

- The owner's prescription to pull, open soffit, and hang was not incorrect in concept. It appears as though it was simply botched in execution.

- The window unit may or may not be salvageable. Based on the pics, the damage (outside of the bolts) appears to be just trim pieces that could be covered over creatively. That said, even if they could get this unit looking tip top, it would need the braces underneath at this point with those bolts having been cut.

I apologize if my thoughts on this seem somewhat random, but I'm just trying to make sense of the situation. There isn't just one issue here, its a big tangled ball of mess.
The critical piece of info here IMO to determine next steps, is knowing the stance of the company owner at this point. Is he still sending someone back to work on this? Is he saying that they are complete and requesting payment? Where does that stand?