Window Replacement - South of Atlanta

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Gus

Re: Window Replacement - South of Atlanta

#31 Post by Gus »

@Sirty how did the install go with Entry Point?

Sirty

#32 Post by Sirty »

Hi Gus,

They haven't been out yet. They called me a month or so ago and said production had been delayed due to a couple custom windows I ordered. They're hoping to proceed with the install by July.

I will certainly update this thread with my thoughts once the job is completed.

HomeSealed

#33 Post by HomeSealed »

Know that you are not alone in having your project delayed. I'm sure that you see the news stories etc, its certainly the name of the game these days. On the bright side, there will likely have been one and maybe even two price increases by the time that your project goes in, so at least you locked that in at the right time.

Sirty

#34 Post by Sirty »

HomeSealed wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:41 pm Know that you are not alone in having your project delayed. I'm sure that you see the news stories etc, its certainly the name of the game these days. On the bright side, there will likely have been one and maybe even two price increases by the time that your project goes in, so at least you locked that in at the right time.
@HomeSealed: For sure! I'm not upset at all by the delay. It's an unusual time in which we're living. I have a couple other home projects that I've put on the back burner for the time being because of supply issues.

As an aside, I have a friend in the pool business and they are booking installs for next September. Yep, that's September 2022. This last year has been the best they've ever had. Crazy what people are willing to pay for when they're sitting at home with nowhere to go.

Sirty

#35 Post by Sirty »

Was informed today that there's been another delay with the manufacturer. Estimated delivery date is now late August. I'll keep keeping my fingers crossed.

Windows on Washington

#36 Post by Windows on Washington »

This...is the world that we live in now.

Seems odd seeing as we are supposed to be back at work. Go figure.

It's almost as if people are being paid to stay home?

Sirty

#37 Post by Sirty »

There's been another delay with the manufacturer, ETA is currently unknown. :roll:

Here's to hoping for a Christmas miracle! :lol:

TheWindowNerd

#38 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I hear ya.
It is still crazy and does not need to be that way.
Pay people when they work, do not pay them when they don't.

Sirty

#39 Post by Sirty »

While I'm waiting on my windows, I have a question for the pros here...Entry Point states they don't cap the half rounds since capping can only be done on straight lines. I'm waiting to hear back from them on how they join the capping to the existing half round trim, but am curious how the pros here do it.

Windows on Washington

#40 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't cap half rounds...or don't have the skill to do so?

You most certainly can cap half rounds. It's not easy and not for the rookie, but you most certainly can cap a half round.

Sirty

#41 Post by Sirty »

WoW, thanks for your reply! He said "capping can only be done in straight lines, not curves." He called to explain, but I couldn't answer; however, his voicemail states they stop the capping where the half round begins and put silicone where it ends to prevent moisture from entering the capping. This seems like it would be an obvious failure point that would lead to rot in the future. Not to mention it wouldn't have a very finished/seamless look.

He also mentioned that he's seen where people have capped half rounds, but they overlap many small pieces of capping. They don't do this, thankfully. I can only imagine how shoddy that would look.

Sounds like I may need to ask they not cap and in turn find someone to install fresh brick molding.

HomeSealed

#42 Post by HomeSealed »

The "lobster tail" with multiple small pieces is most common (at least around here). When done well it can look pretty nice. When done poorly it looks awful. There are other method as well, but as WoW said, it can definitely be done. In the event that they won't and you are okay with that, I'd be looking for a better way to terminate the upper seam than sealing with caulk. Tucked under or into a surface above to prevent water entry would be advisable. Caulk/silicone will fail at some point and water will get back there is that's all that is sealing that interface.

Sirty

#43 Post by Sirty »

Thanks for your input HomeSealed! I can visual how tucking would work on a single window, but I have one with three windows and the half round is only above the middle window. I can't quite think through how tucking would work there since the brick mold from the window to the half round makes a 90. Hoping I can get the rep on the phone so we can discuss more.

toddinmn

#44 Post by toddinmn »

The wider the arch the better the “lobster tail” approach works. No way I would consider capping only the legs and sealing with a caulk joint. From here on out the “Lobster tail” is the official term for me. Funniest thing. I’ve heard in a while.

Delaware Mike

#45 Post by Delaware Mike »

Geometric radius capping isn't fun, but we do it. Did some hard ones this week. Tomorrow's circle top was sold as a full frame new construction unit and we optioned for a fancy 1" x 6" Azek prefab surround from the same outfit that makes them for Andersen locally.