Correct window fitment

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
polaris725

Correct window fitment

#1 Post by polaris725 »

Hello, new to this forum, but have run into a problem with our installation contractor. They installed 12 double hung polaris thermaweld plus windows. Apparently their way to install windows is measure smaller than the stops so not have to remove any trim, I stopped the job as the windows were installed to meet the interior trim. I now have a 1/2 inch or more gap between the exterior stop and new window, I can see the wood window frame. I'm being told the very poor trim they installed is suppose to be what seal the window. Doesn't see correct to me. Looks like a lot of potential for the elements to get in. I was told they can pull my interior stops because the have twist nails in them and it will break them. Basically you can pass the new window through the frame with all stops still installed. The window in my mind is to small.
Anyone ever heard of an installation like this? Replacing wood windows from 1994 similar to or anderson not sure what they were.
Pics attached mainly show the gap between the outside stops and bottom.
Thank you
IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG

toddinmn

Re: Correct window fitment

#2 Post by toddinmn »

It’s hard to Get a complete grasp of what they did from the pics provided. Some inside pics may help. Ideally the install process would have been clear and in writing . Sliding a window in between the trim/ jambs/ drywall returns is not that uncommon.It is important to know what they proposed and the final product. What are they going to do to fill the gap on the outside and inside? You are in A little bit of a predicament at this point and I don’t who is in the right .

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think this is fairly common.
Not the way we would prefer to do it. if the are capping the exterior, which is the common way, they could have cut back the exterior stop and maxed the width, which would make the interior then just caulked. Or if they did not want to remove the stops they could have have made the window 1/2" smaller than the sash opening width and slipped them in the pocket to one side then back center toward the other, the window would be captured 1/4" on both sides.
I tend to measure tight, which bites us at times.
I have been doing it 45 years and make mistakes both ordering too large and small.
At this point is it better to let them cap one unit to see the fit and finish along with the inside trim nad finish. If they did and excellent job I would consider letting them proceed. If the butch either I would have other thoughts.
wayne theWindowNerd

Ricknez

#4 Post by Ricknez »

Looks like they didnt finish yet. Let them finish. Also, close up pics tend to make gaps larger than they really are.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Interior pictures?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Normal prescriptive gaps for an insert application.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above. Its impossible to say with certainty, but I don't see any major red flags based on these shots. The exterior stops are pretty irrelevant as a reference point for whether or not the windows are measured properly. If the gaps on the sides and top are 1/2" or less (for most applications) from new frame to old, you are fine. If the interior edge of the window is covered by existing interior stops, that pretty much confirms that there is no sizing issue... Even then, sometimes there are stepped jambs and other complications that can dictate sizing and make it look wrong when it is not.

If your concern is actually the depth as opposed to the width and height ( you referenced the windows sitting inward of the ext stops), the windows are made with a set jamb depth. The installer would decide exactly where to set the window based on a variety of factors, but bringing them inward to the interior stops is most common. Setting the window further inward is also more thermally efficient, even if only marginally so.

Some interior pics and pics of the completed exterior trim work would be helpful as well.