Full Tear out vs Pocket Window Replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HomeSealed

Re: Full Tear out vs Pocket Window Replacement

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

Just because something can be done, that doesn't mean its advisable.
Transoms will cost more, yes, but the larger you go on a casement means its that much more likely that you will see some sagging and operational issues sooner if you like to keep your windows open a lot. They aren't super wide so that helps, but I always to try forewarn homeowners about plus sized casements.

If you are looking to reduce cost by reducing the number of frames (which is logical), you could look at the possibility of some big double hung, or something like a pw/awing combo. Depends on the style of your home and ventilation needs.

kpytoi9

#17 Post by kpytoi9 »

HomeSealed wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:59 pm Just because something can be done, that doesn't mean its advisable.
Transoms will cost more, yes, but the larger you go on a casement means its that much more likely that you will see some sagging and operational issues sooner if you like to keep your windows open a lot. They aren't super wide so that helps, but I always to try forewarn homeowners about plus sized casements.

If you are looking to reduce cost by reducing the number of frames (which is logical), you could look at the possibility of some big double hung, or something like a pw/awing combo. Depends on the style of your home and ventilation needs.
Cost reduction was one factor. Other factor, if we go the pocket replacement route is to maximize the glass space available. Getting rid of the transoms allows us to make up the lost glass space. Being in Chicago, the windows wouldnt be opened a lot, given its too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer...but the sagging is a good point that I did not consider.

TheWindowNerd

#18 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with Brando about + size casements. Glass loss was my point, vinyl transom always look so bulky to me, even if done as new construction. another option would be a single width transom mulled to a twin casement.

Sunrise has been known for for their good casements. They have a well developed size chart with size and weight limits.

theWindowNerd

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

How bout the interior stops? Are they one piece with the frame or applied/removable?

TheWindowNerd

#20 Post by TheWindowNerd »

oops
It is Brandon not Brando. Wish I would remember to proof read before submitting.