Glass fogging/streaking in AC 8500 windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
riguy99

Glass fogging/streaking in AC 8500 windows

#1 Post by riguy99 »

Pros,

I am a homeowner in New England, and most of the windows were replaced c. 2005 by the previous owner, with American Craftsman 8500 double-hung vinyl bought at home depot and installed by previous owner's all-around handyman (now retired or otherwise gone).

At this point, more than half of the glass units have become foggy/hazy on the internal surfaces, and a few even have thick streaks of a muddy or rusty color on the inside of the glass unit. Bad enough that last summer a window guy rang my doorbell out of the blue saying they were doing a job down the block and while driving by he noticed my glass was in bad shape (great way to put me in a good mood, lol).

I'd like to do something about this, but am not sure exactly what I should be pursuing.

I would prefer to not rip out the entire windows and have a window firm install new, frame and all, for 22 windows. Sure I'd *like* to have overall higher quality but if there's something less costly that fixes the glass problem I'm OK as-is; the frames and mechanisms all seem OK.

Can I get direct replacement sashes from AC / Anderson? i.e., to just put into same frames?

I see ads for glass replacement only, which I guess means the company removes the sashes, takes them apart, and installs new glass units then reseals the sashes? Is that a good option and what should I be looking for in choosing a contractor and what new glass to have put in (assuming there's a choice)

In theory AC 8500 has a "limited lifetime warranty" which does warranty the glass unit against seal failure for 'lifetime', but only for the original purchaser not subsequent homeowners, and I have no receipts or other documentation other than the sales brochure.

Thanks for any advice!!!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Glass fogging/streaking in AC 8500 windows

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You have answered some of your own question.
You state you have no warranty. Along with that the windows are probably drafty.
Reglazing is the term for replacing just the glass in the existing windows. I would want a 20 year seal failure warranty, but at minimum 10 years.
Reglazing will not solve draftiness or any broken hardware.
Your story is the sad proof that it is not cheaper to do it twice.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would find a mfg sticker on the side of the sash or in the channel at the top of the frame. Take a picture of that sticker and go to your nearest HD and ask them to take care of them for you.

riguy99

#4 Post by riguy99 »

Thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for the tip about the label at the top of the frame, I had never thought to look. The label up there actually includes the Home Depot order # / date / purchaser which is better than I hoped to find. Turns out HD has a website to submit AC window warranty requests if you have that data so can't hurt to try.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

That’s good advice, better yet if you can get them warranties with a new sash vs just glass.
There not the best window but 9 out 10 times they were installed poorly. Lot of times they were not shimmed at the center nor at the sill.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Most of the AC windows where actually made in NJ by Silverline Windows. It's about the cheapest window one can purchase and I'm not surprised with the seal failures. Andersen Windows acquired Silverline and that AC Home Depot line for like a decade and dumped them to Plygem from what I remember. Dealing with Silverline and trying to get anything warranty wise (free) isn't going to work unless you're the original homeowner that registered with them. I tried to once by helping a homeowner out with some sashes with seal failure. She had just purchased the property and had 3-4 recently installed AC DH units with seal failure. Silverline got the address, put me on hold, Google searched the property, found out she had just purchased it, and then wanted like $130 a sash.

riguy99

#7 Post by riguy99 »

DelawareMike, thanks for that bit of experience. I did note on the HD warranty site they didn't ask if you were they original purchaser but it also occurred to me that house purchase date is a trivial thing to look up. I wondered if they'd check that out and sounds like they do. I'll still see what happens but I won't get my hopes up.

Replacing whole sashes is at least an option to think about for now, for the worst glass units. Recognizing that replacing crappy windows in whole is a better long term plan, is replacement whole sashes from PlyGem likely a better bet than a local reglazer?

As for install.... previous owner used the same dirt cheap handyman for painting - landscaping - plumbing - electrical - locksmithing - carpentry - and as far as I can tell from invoices, the windows.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above, worth a shot to try and replace under warranty. AC has changed ownership a few times recently, I believe that Cornerstone(parent company) was just bought out in the last few weeks.

If they won't warranty it, I'd strongly consider replacement, even if in phases. You've gotten 17 years out of what is generally considered a 10 year window, I'd be careful about spending much on fixing them. A few sashes is one thing, but a couple dozen is not an insignificant investment.