Wow - HUGE price range - OKNA, SoftLite, Pella, Andersen

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
farroar

Wow - HUGE price range - OKNA, SoftLite, Pella, Andersen

#1 Post by farroar »

I've been through the gauntlet. I've had 5 different sales pitches and it is really exhausting :)

Andersend and Pella came out first:

We are looking to do 18 windows. I broke it down into cost for each window with installation. Easier for my brain to handle.

Andersen:
$2,862 per window DH (Renewal so Fibrex materials)

Pella:
They will only do full-frame replacement. Sills are rotted in places
$2,040 per window

Window Universe:
They sell the Revere Berkshire Elite
Will repair sills
$888 per window

Local SoftLite dealer:
Sill repair
Uses SoftLite Imperial
$1,035 per window

And the last is the OKNA dealer:
Sill repair
Use what they call the EcoMAX which is a double pane, maybe the EcoPro 600??
$1,792 per window

I like the OKNA product the best, but the SoftLite is more affordable.

The main difference between the two is that the SoftLite dealer is a small two man shop. Seems to have a good rep but there is some risk there.

Having a hard time making a decision, big numbers when we have over 30 windows total to deal with.

Thanks!

Ricknez

Re: Wow - HUGE price range - OKNA, SoftLite, Pella, Andersen

#2 Post by Ricknez »

Whats the scope of the install? Is it a full tear out or just replacing sills?

farroar

#3 Post by farroar »

In the case of Pella, they want to do a full tear out and replace it all down to the studs. Oh, and the Pella window is the 240. Pretty basic vinyl replacement.

The rest is a repair/replace of the sill then new replacement windows.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Pella could do a insert install. The salesman just wants to make more money. I would not suggest using a Pella vinyl window, they have a pocket sill.

RBA is always double what a comparable insert would cost. I would discard both the P and RBA.

Of your remaining choices I like the Okna the best. I prefer the 800dx EnviroStar.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

What are the specifications on the different windows? i.e. any of them triple pane depending on what climate region you are in?

farroar

#6 Post by farroar »

The company (NewPro) brands the window as the EcoMax which is a double pane .25 U window. I'm not sure which OKNA this is based on but I'm guessing at minimum the 600. They also have options for SuperMAX (.17 U) and UltraMAX (.15U Krypton-Argon) which are both triple pane.

I'm in New England

I feel they could come down in price but I'm getting the standard sales pitch stuff (promotion this, buy now for this price, this month only, etc...)

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

I'd probably look at the triple option or at least get a price.

The whole "price is this month" thing used to be more of a sales'ee thing before. Completely legit now with regards to the pricing volatility.

farroar

#8 Post by farroar »

The other options are:

UltraMAX: $2,519/window
SuperMAX: $2,204/window

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

You can trash those two. Best two are the Okna and probably the Imperial, but the Imperial is an older window design.

jesoonster

#10 Post by jesoonster »

Wow you guys REALLY like the okna huh? For 700+ price diff per window you still recommend Okna? Seriously is it that much better? I can't possibly believe the okna is 70% better? (from pure math point of view)

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, The Okna is the best performer on the list.

As for the softlite option, is that the Elite, LS, or Pro? They used to have "Imperial" before all three, I always forget which they switched to.

@jessoonster, that may be overly simplifying things.
While that price is 70% more than another, the OP also has one that is 60% more than it.

More than that though, we really don't know all of the details of any given project. I can't speak for the other pros (although I think that they'd probably agree with this), which is that we are generally going to recommend what sounds like the best option as long as the price is not crazy high or crazy low. Is the Okna 800 worth 70% more than a Softlite LS? I'd say no, but that is assuming that all else is equal which we don't know. Are the options completely apples to apples? Are the installation details? What is the reputation of the installation company? How many employees do they have and how long have they been in business... and so on. As such, my recommendation is generally going to be based on what I think will result in better finished product and happy customer today and 10+ years from now as opposed to what is the best deal financially-- again assuming that its within the range of reason.

jesoonster

#12 Post by jesoonster »

That's a fair statement homesealed. Thank you for the clarification. From an inexperienced person's point of view (me), it was an eyepopping result to see okna being favored when the pricing was 70% more than the soft-lite and I began to question whether the soft-lite imperial elite line (top after their elements line) I decided to go with had a much larger gap than okna that I first envisioned. I really wish I had opp to get the okna but oh well, I have to be happy to have gotten soft-lite without paying an arm and leg in the austin area (it is horrendously marked up here)....

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

jesoonster wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:41 pm Wow you guys REALLY like the okna huh? For 700+ price diff per window you still recommend Okna? Seriously is it that much better? I can't possibly believe the okna is 70% better? (from pure math point of view)
Based on the models mentioned, I think my comment of:
  • Best two are the Okna and probably the Imperial, but the Imperial is an older window design.
is pretty spot on. The Okna and the Imperial are the two best on that list. How the OP decides on the math remains to be seen. Don't know the business model of the company pitching the Okna, but maybe they have some other incentives to roll out. The Imperial, if its the plain Imperial, is a dated design, but still a solid window. Lacks some of the performance metrics of the other window, but a solid performer.

jesoonster

#14 Post by jesoonster »

I wasn't aware there was an "imperial" line. I thought OP meant imperial elite. OP did you mean IE or imperial? When my installer orders I better check the order receipt to confirm he is ordering the elite line bc that's what we agreed on...

farroar

#15 Post by farroar »

The SoftLite quoted was the "Imperial Elite"

The prices are really all over the place. From $888/window (Revere Berkshire Elite) all the way up to $2,653/window (Renewal by Andersen) installed. My eyes popped a bit too.

The Soft-Lite Imperial Elite is a great window from what I've read, an in my quote it was $1,035/window. But the installation company was a two guy local shop with no real installation warranty.

NewPro locally installs OKNA, but I'm not sure what model it is. I plan on asking tonight. They call it the EcoMax and I'm sure they'll say it is a special super custom window just for them :). I think it is the EcoPro-600. At $1,692/window I think it is the best value I can get. ( I had a typo earlier on this price )

I've had 5 different quotes and 3 different 2 hour sales pitches at my home. The window itself plays a role in the cost of course, but so does the brand. Andersen and Pella have the name behind them.. the products are good. If they made a mistake, they have the manpower to fix and warranties are clear. You're paying for more than a window and an installation.

Then there are the "we save you time by not coming out" companies. I really liked the idea of these. Seemed like no BS, just tell us how many windows and the style you want and we'll quote you without ever visiting your home. I think it works for them due to volume and a large profit margin. I'm guessing that MOST of the time, it's a straightforward replacement and they bank on that plus a cheaper window option.

I've decided to go with the Okna. The company installing them has been in business for 75 years and is local. I wish it wasn't so expensive, but that's just how it goes.