Full Home Replacement Quote

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
AH689

Full Home Replacement Quote

#1 Post by AH689 »

Hi, I live in the Midwest in a desirable neighborhood, we bought a house that we knew going in needed work. The next big projects are replacing the windows and doors. I received my first quote for the entire house about 25 windows and one slider. The recommended Okna Starmark 7500 composite windows and I have to admit they do look nice. I've also been reading that they are great quality windows and quote is from one of the most reputable installers around. All great... the problem is the quote cane back at 45k. To me that seems high, but I honestly have no basis to compare.

Is that quote in line what people see? Can you recommed any windows that are close un quality without the big cost? With some rough math I'm estimating each window is about 1400. Figuring about 23 to 25% install.

Other info... im new to the area for a job. I'm not super tied here if things change. Is it worth the investment if we're only in the house for a few years. I find it hard to believe I would ever recoup the cost of the windows.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Windows on Washington

Re: Full Home Replacement Quote

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What install and options were proposed?

AH689

#3 Post by AH689 »

They are inserts, white inside and out with grids on about 22 of the 25 windows.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Besides the fact that you will enjoy the windows. The noise reduction, energy savings, ease of operation, and reduction in maintenance. Previous studies show you can recoup 75 - 80% of your investment.
In the past two and a half years prices have climbed and continue to do so. If you check with your dealer you might find there is a 7% increase very soon. Prices will not go down, I do hope they stabilize.

TheWindowNerd

AH689

#5 Post by AH689 »

WindowNerd... I appreciate the replay, but that didn't really answer my questions. Im looking at this as a business decision, i honesty dont get any pleasure positive or negatove looking at windows, and any energy savings will be very limited. Im on fixed gas/electric bill. Pre-negotiated with the energy company.

What I really want to know is if there's a middle of the row option that is good like let's say the Pella 250s or something that's not 1400 a window and still has a decent look for the next buyer.

To me spending 45k is a waste of resources and to high. Or am I just out of touch?

toddinmn

Re: Full Home Replacement Quoteo

#6 Post by toddinmn »

You may want to check out Okna's lower lines as well as some other quality brands of vinyl windows.
Recouping cost on replacement windows has a lot of variables.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

$1400 per window is within the normal range these days, its certainly not excessive for that window which is one of the best on the market. In many places you will find that window along with Andersen Renewal, Marvin Infinity, etc with per window pricing well north of $2k.

Could you find something decent that is less expensive? Sure. I wouldn't put Pella 250 in that category. You may also want to consider the desirable neighborhood reference, as run of the mill vinyl windows could detract from resale value if these are higher end homes.

If you are looking for for a quality vinyl option, as Todd referenced, Okna has few other models, the Sunrise Restorations and Softlite Elements are very good as well.

Lastly, be sure to give enough weight to the installation and reputation of whichever companies you are considering. It's an extremely important part of attaining a finished product that you are happy with regardless of the product chosen, and it will affect the price as well.

AH689

#8 Post by AH689 »

Thanks!

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Fun thing about business decisions, it is always cheaper to do it right once than twice.
Okna 800 then 600
Vytex 6200
I would not suggest Pella vinyl.