Leaking recessed stucco-framed windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jonschmon

Leaking recessed stucco-framed windows

#1 Post by jonschmon »

During inspection of a 100-year old home we discovered that there is water damage to the interior drywall under some of the Pella hand-crank casement windows installed in ~2014. Mold tests revealed the presence of mold which we will be mitigating. On the exterior windows are slightly recessed inside stucco. Photos of the interior and exterior are below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sjdgg8ezad1LgXYh8

Does anyone know based on these photos what the installation technique was likely cause of the leaks?

What is the best way to diagnose/repair them to prevent further leaks?

Note:
1) You can see there is some vintage wood framing visible.
2) There are gaps at the corner joints in the exterior vinyl frame. It appears someone has smeared sealant on the gaps but the gaps have re-opened.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Leaking recessed stucco-framed windows

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Those are Pella Architect series. Good windows.

I do not like what I can see of the capping. Why not cap and seal that bare wood at exterior sill?
I would like to see a picture of the top of the window.

Two things I would do. Recap and seal properly. Clear seal or elastic paint the stucco.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yep. What he said. Showing where it is, he just laid out the full and prescriptive modifications. You could even have the capping detail of the sill terminate out on the facing wall if you want.

jonschmon

#4 Post by jonschmon »

Thank you, both. We have hired a window contractor to inspect the windows and he replied already based on the photos:

"I could see the gaps these windows were installed with an exterior applied flange my recommendation would be to re-order windows so we can be able to install them as new construction since the original framing is beyond repair."

Do you think such a full window replacement is necessary to repair these windows?

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

No,
But I am not onsite to inspect. the picture of the top of the window isn't posted yet.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Is he argueing for intragal vs applied flanges? That is a hard case to make. Both have to be used correctly.

Stucco on frame is very difficult. Your stucco looks very porous, and old.