Window installation Question?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Bequia

Window installation Question?

#1 Post by Bequia »

Is it OK to drill a screw in a window Sill because the window frame is 10ft with a picture frame and 2 casement? The installer says the screws in the side is not holding it stable enough.

Delaware Mike

Re: Window installation Question?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

When setting a large picture window (vinyl) the interior sill area would never be exposed to exterior water like an open double hung or casement. The installer would find exact center, drill with a bit typically at 5/16" to 3/8" and plug with a factory face plug. One could also toe in a white GRK trim head potentially from the inside corners at the mulling points of the casements. You would never see them (head) and I'd dip the screw threads in a high grade silicone or glazing sealant.

The shaky we hate to do but have to sometimes is when we encounter double hung units with frowned upward sills. You have to know what you're doing to take that bow out with a sill screw so it never can leak.

Bequia

#3 Post by Bequia »

Thanks for your response.
I understand yet I don't understand at the same time 🙃

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Totally agree with DM.

Ultimately the difference here between "okay" and "avoid at all costs", is whether the area that the screw will be placed is exposed to exterior water/drainage. On PW's that is not the case, almost all large PW's will have a screw in the sill.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Agreed with both of the posters above.