Power - Symphony Pella windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jfkp2033

Power - Symphony Pella windows

#1 Post by jfkp2033 »

Hi,

Had a long 5-6 hour session with power home remodeling where they quoted me approx. $1190/each for 4 pella symphony series vinyl double hung windows (33 w x 62 h). This was their first time visit rebate. They basically quoted me for the entire house and we broken it down based on floors and sides of the house. He said i had to respond before he left so i signed up for it.

Now he had 2 rates,
- Lower rate (the one i mentioned above) if i sign up before he left and
- Higher rate if i chose to do it later.

Now what he told me was that i could just agree to a few windows for the lower rate, i could secure the same rebate for the rest of the project whenever i decide on them than having to not opt for anything and going for the higher rate.

While i did sign up, for 4 windows for $1190/each (that includes the window, removing existing wooden window, frame, sill etc, adding a new trim on the outside and inside) for a total of $4760. I'm wondering if i should pull back given i have 3 days to cancel.

I'd appreciate if you guys can chime in on whether i got ripped or if it looks good.

Thanks
John KP
Atlanta, GA

Delaware Mike

Re: Power - Symphony Pella windows

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

So, they're performing sort of a new construction type of install? Or just an insert/pocket replacement window plus all new interior trim? I don't like that window and they will not even be selling in next year from a little bird told me. Pella vinyl is not highly regarded.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You have a high threshold for pain and BS.
You should rescind the sales agreement.

How old is your house? Are the existing windows wood, vinyl, or metal?
Do you know the difference between an insert install and a full frame replacement with traditional full interior trim?

You can find a much better product, look for Okna or Vytex. Plus a much better install from an independent window contractor.

theWindowNerd

Ricknez

#4 Post by Ricknez »

I didnt know that power did new construction installs, thats interesting. The price they gave you for that type of install is actually a decent price. As far as telling you to cancel, thats not really up to me especially since it doesnt look like anything is standing out that apoears to be a red flag. I am just not a fan of pella windows.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

5 to 6 hours... :shock: :shock: :shock:

jfkp2033

#6 Post by jfkp2033 »

Thanks for all your replies. I went ahead and cancelled it and spent a good deal of my weekend researching and figured quite a few things.

This was for a replacement and it was a full tear down. I have wood windows and they're 25 years old. I was leaning more towards vinyl until i started reading about all wood, vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum clad wood.

I'd appreciate if you could give me some suggestions. I'm definitely going to look into Okna and Vytex but i just cannot figure which independent window contractor to pick from. There are quite a few who serve NW Atlanta.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

You'll get it figured out. No reason to go full tear out or new construction in my opinion unless there is something that is foundationally wrong with the old windows.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with the comment that their price is pretty cheap for that scope of work if correct. Not typical of that company from what I know.

Either way, I agree with the other pros that there are better windows out there for the money. Narrow down to a few products that you like based on your research, and then look specifically for installation companies in your area that use those products. There will be fewer options than you think if you choose from top performers, manufacturers generally limit the availability of those products to elite dealers.

jfkp2033

#9 Post by jfkp2033 »

The only reason i went with full tear down was because of rot in the sill. As much i've seen/read i could very well do with replacing just the sill instead of the full tear out.

Do i need stucco contractors to work with the window contractor if i go for a sill replacement or a teardown?
I'm not sure if i should trust the window contractor to know how to work on EIFS.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Whether or not rot on the sill would justify a full frame tear out is going to depend on the amount and location of it. Even then, it may not be super clear cut one way or the other, it more a matter of anticipating whether or not observable damage likely goes deeper where repair of the RO may be needed.

With EIFS, I'd agree with your assessment. You don't want a window contractor making repairs to that stuff. The two options that I've found least problematic are:

1) Pocket replacement where the interface between EIFS and original frame is undisturbed (assuming that it is all functioning correctly)

2) Full blown, full frame (new construction style) install where the EIFS is cut back to allow removal of the original window, and installation of new window with nail fin and flashing components. This would be followed by a visit from an EIFS contractor.

What I do NOT recommend, and what I suspect may be proposed to you, would be an "express" type install where the full frame is removed and new window sized to match -- but without nail fin or flashing addressed. Many window companies will call this a "full frame" install, but make no mistake that it is nowhere near as comprehensive as a new construction style installation... There are times when that type of express install makes sense, but not here IMO.