which side is the bead on?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Windows on Washington

Re: which side is the bead on?

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sliding sash is internally glazed, most likely. Center section can be removed, most likely. Geometric is internally glazed, most likely.

Not "un-doable" but you are certainly upping the complexity at this point. I would be very careful and get some glazing sleeves or good gloves if you are going to be handling this glass.

cl206

#17 Post by cl206 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:51 am Sliding sash is internally glazed, most likely. Center section can be removed, most likely. Geometric is internally glazed, most likely.

Not "un-doable" but you are certainly upping the complexity at this point. I would be very careful and get some glazing sleeves or good gloves if you are going to be handling this glass.
WOW I really appreciate your help and thank you for the cautions. I actually just got a quote from an online place and the IGU alone is like $200 for one glass. Sounds high to me but I will get more quotes and NGL there is a chance I might still let a pro do it (that is and always be will be option). I would much rather get the glass from a local place and see what I can do first.

Also those sashes are definitely all internally glazed bc I removed some of them already and the arch one on top is as well bc I can see the stops. The hard part I find was cutting the old glaze so Ill develop a plan for that :)

For sure i will post updates. I'm in Rockland County and this place is in Staten Island so I'm not there daily.
I think rn considering how much the IGU can cost I will go back this weekend and measure again with multiple tape measures just to be absolutely sure of the dimensions.
measure thrice and cut once right!
-Charlie

cl206

#18 Post by cl206 »

Hey WOW or anyone else, can someone tell me what those two little slits on the bottom
of the arch window is for in the outside pic?
If you look closely there are two little black slits/openings. Are they for water drainage?
Are they weep holes?
Charlie

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes. Weep holes.

Windows on Washington

#20 Post by Windows on Washington »

$200 is not expensive when you are talking about glass. A sealed IGU requires some relatively specialized equipment. They aren't making these in a garage.

cl206

#21 Post by cl206 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:12 pm $200 is not expensive when you are talking about glass. A sealed IGU requires some relatively specialized equipment. They aren't making these in a garage.
WOW thanks as always for your clarification. Also coming from being totally clueless to being a little more educated on this subject, I have to agree on the pricing. Also I think I just found my supplier! It is a mom and son shop and they couldnt have been nicer! Best part is they are like 2 miles from me.
Charlie

Windows on Washington

#22 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like a win-win.

cl206

#23 Post by cl206 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:19 pm Sounds like a win-win.
Hi WOW and everyone, UPDATE to my window situation. Before any fix:
https://imgur.com/a/TPqRcFH

My plan was get the arch top IGU first (which I ordered in Dec and it sat in the house until warm weather came and I finally got to it 4/16). Took 3 hrs but it is done. Had 2 helpers. Original installers used tape and caulk BUT also added some construction adhesive on the bottom base! Wasn't ready for that but wasn't bad, just took some more time.
This is me holding the IGU:
https://imgur.com/zq58LAi

This is the aftermath with the Arch Top IGU in:
https://imgur.com/e9jjJn9

This is my reward for myself lol:
https://imgur.com/oTtm0Mj

I got the glass online for about $243 total, tempered and air filled. My local glass wanted $650 for annealed and $850 for tempered. Oh well. Also my measurements were a little off but works fine! My plan is to to all the IGUs on this structure and the lower level, so 7 more but I don't anticipate any issues. I'll do like 2 or 3 at a time and each time "reward" myself. Bourbon/whiskey is quite a motivator :)

Everyone have a nice day! Oh I am enjoying some 1792 so Angel's Envy will have to wait a little haha

-Charlie

Windows on Washington

#24 Post by Windows on Washington »

Well done.

Be sure to keep the reward phase confined to before you start handling the expensive and possibly injurious sharp glass. :lol:

cl206

#25 Post by cl206 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:41 am Well done.

Be sure to keep the reward phase confined to before you start handling the expensive and possibly injurious sharp glass. :lol:
Thanks and 100% Yes, responsibly!!