Pella Proline replacement options

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Mark_In_Ohio

Pella Proline replacement options

#1 Post by Mark_In_Ohio »

Hello,
A brief history, in 1998 I built my own home. I finished it in the fall of '99. For windows we used the Pella Proline from Lowes. (I bet you know where this is going)
Fast forward to 2018 and I start to deal with the Sash's that are showing water issues. Pella says they can sell me NEW sash's. Well one thing leads to another and nothing happens and now it is 2022 and I really need to decide how I can deal with these windows. Pella has now quoted me a price of $500.00 +/-PER SASH which I think is pretty high.

My question is has anyone ever had a replacement window installed in a Pella Proline? How is it done? Do they remove the SASH and the vinyl side pieces and somehow insert the new window in the Proline Jam? I would love to see how this process works.

Or would I be better to remove the siding and go with a New Construction window?

When I built my house I removed the sill from the jam extension and installed a custom oversized sill. We would hate to loose that.
I will try to post some pictures. I need to learn what the process is to replace these. How it's done? What stays, what goes, or can it be done.

And No one ever told me about the lawsuit until years after it was closed.

Thank you for any information you can give me.

Windows on Washington

Re: Pella Proline replacement options

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

How's the exterior trim around the window? You adverse to an insert application?

Mark_In_Ohio

#3 Post by Mark_In_Ohio »

Thanks for the reply,
I am not sure what an "insert" would look like. I don't know what gets removed to make room for the Insert. I would like to see an insert that was put into a proline window.

BUT the outsides look pretty good. There may be hidden damage but for the most part the damage I am seeing is contained to the sash's.

To be honest most of our windows are probably still in the "Acceptable" range but we know the longer we wait the more it's gonna cost.

Thanks again for your rapid reply.

Here is a picture of a typical window from the outside...

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

$500 per sash installed or just the sashes?
Either way, you are looking at $1000+ per window to outfit 20 year old, builder grade windows with new parts... You could replace those windows with something much better for a similar investment. Easy decision IMO. Get a few replacement window quotes and take it from there.

Mark_In_Ohio

#5 Post by Mark_In_Ohio »

Thats what I was thinking too HomeSealed, but when you say "replacement widows" I still don't have a clear picture of what that is. When doing replacement windows in this situation are we talking about stripping this window unit out completely, stripping siding and taking the whole unit out and finding a new window for the rough opening?
Or are the "replacement windows" a situation where you take out the sash's and the seals and insert a window in the existing "frame"?
I agree about the $500. 3 years ago they were $140 a sash. I know I messed up not getting them then but thats water under the bridge.

I appreciate your reply and if you can enlighten me on what all is involved in "replacement windows" please do. Like I said I hate to lose our window sills if we have to go to a new unit.

Thanks again

M

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

This is what is referred to as an "insert" style replacement window. Point of note, he is replacing it from the interior whereas most replacement contractors will do this via pulling the exterior stops and capping the exterior trim. Eliminates any interior damages and encapsulates the exterior trim in a lifetime coil that will not require any paint or maintenance.

https://youtu.be/SIkXN8DJLUc

Win-admin
Board Administrator

#7 Post by Win-admin »

@ Mark in Ohio

Thank you for posting on the board -

The images you entered are not showing as they are not in the correct format. There are a few different ways to do it, but try these instructions;

When looking at the post you are creating (or responding to) click on "Attachments";
click attachments.png
Then click on "Add files";
click add files.png
A window should open on your computer that has your docs and images, select the image you wish to post and double click on it (or you can click "open").
select the image from your computer.png
select the image from your computer.png (42.79 KiB) Viewed 10254 times
The image should then appear as a file in the post at the bottom, from there click "Place Inline";
click place inline.png
If you have multiple images repeat the above steps, when you are finished posting images its a good idea to Click "Preview" to see how things look, you can edit directly in the text box that is below what your post looks like. If all is good Click "Submit";

Thanks again for posting and if you need any assistance please let us know.
Win-Admin
win-admin@replacement-windows.com

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

@Mark,
To answer your question, you should be able to do either method (pocket replacement or full frame). There are "hybrid" options as well where the full frame of the old window is removed but a nail fin is not used so there's no need to drop or cut-back siding, etc. In some cases the interior trim can be preserved via that method as well, whereas a true full frame with nail fin etc would likely result in the interior woodwork needing to be replaced.

With all of that said, based on your goals, I'd say a pocket replacement may be your best best as the interior trim would be untouched and it would be easier on your wallet as well.

Mark_In_Ohio

#9 Post by Mark_In_Ohio »

Win-admin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:33 am @ Mark in Ohio

Thank you for posting on the board -

The images you entered are not showing as they are not in the correct format.

That's odd because I did a test post in the Test Forum and it worked and it seemed to work here. Then it stopped showing them here.

BUT thank you for the helpful post I will repost them following your instructions and see how it goes.

thanks!

M

Mark_In_Ohio

#10 Post by Mark_In_Ohio »

So here is yet another attempt to post images as I am told by admin that even though I can see them other viewers can not.
IMG_0022_1_3_1.JPG
IMG_3350.jpg
IMG_3352.jpg
IMG_3353.jpg
IMG_3355.jpg
Some of the windows are in great shape and others are literally falling apart, but it always the sash not the rest of the window.

Sorry if these images were not posting before on my side they were there.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

I saw them before then they were gone, I now see the new batch. Same advice. :)

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1. If the windows are otherwise NOT leaking at their connection to the home, insert is going to be your best application. Hands down.

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

Pella and Peachtree build two of the most puzzling wood/alum clad double hung unit out there for retrofitting their wood frame "pockets" for inserts. Window pros don't have too many issues with them, but a weekend carpenter might be not best suited for the sawzal and aluminum capping exterior finish work.

We take a high tooth count metal blade is a sawzal and carefully cut out the exterior aluminum sash stops so that we can "gut" the sashes from the exterior since the interior stops with Pella are mortised and not just nail/staple applied. The issue with some of the Pella models in the bottom aluminum double walled sill leg that sticks proud off the bottom of the sill. One can sit the window atop that which makes your insert/replacement window slightly shorter in height measure wise than other retrofits. I don't like that look as one will see a lot of vinyl "bulk" from the interior view. If you cut that out be prepared for pure hell. It's like trying fillet a tank. You have to be careful not to damage the interior stool. We utilize a combination of grinder, reciprocating saws, and multi-tools. We always cap over the aluminum Pella frames but one cannot nail the trim coil through such thick gauge aluminum cladding. You have to blind caulk and fit you trim coil by gluing it in place. Not very hard for the pros, but not super easy like with Andersen's.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Mark,
DE Mike is providing you the best description of and insert install into the pella frame. Take not, most installers are not as detailed or concerned about their work. Mike is the best craftsman you will meet.
You have several concerns:
If you do an insert visible glass loss and stained wood interior. There is very good vinyl windows with faux stained wood interiors ( such as Okna). Also finding a true craftsman.
If you do full frame I would leave the stained trim on the wall along with the JE of the Pella unit, then butt the new unit into your existing trim, sill, and JE. Make up the overall in to out by capping the exterior.

theWindowNerd