Replacement Quotes - Recommendations

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
BlackDuckDown

Replacement Quotes - Recommendations

#1 Post by BlackDuckDown »

In process of replacing my current 70 year old original wood windows. I have received four quotes. Replacing 17 windows. 14 double hung and 3 picture windows all with colonial grids. The quotes are as follows:

Simonton Reflections 5500 - $9,775
Provia Endure - $19,500 - contractor 1
Provia Endure -$16.500 - contractor 2
Okna Eco Pro 600 - $17,065

I feel comfortable with all the companies reputations / reviews. The quote is the same installation service. The Simonton contractor is local to my area where the other 3 are out of town - about an hour away. The Simonton contractor is highly recommended in our area. I have references on his work and have seen his work. I realize the Simonton is a lesser quality window compared to the other 2 windows. The significantly lesser quote of the Simonton is hard to pass up. What is the groups thoughts? Thank you for your time and responses.

HomeSealed

Re: Replacement Quotes - Recommendations

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Simonton is the bottom window in this comparison, but that option would be a hard pass based more on the price than the product. He may have some current references that are good, but it's literally impossible that he will be in business for much longer at a price like that. Fine price for 2012, major red flag for 2022.
The vast, vast majority of horror stories in the home improvement industry are from people that couldn't pass up a deal that seemed too good to be true-- and proved to be so.

Between the other two, that pricing sounds like it's in the normal range, with the Okna being the easy choice as a superior product to Provia at a similar price.

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

Agree, the Okna 600 is the obvious choice. Simonton is a very outdated window and doesnt perform nearly as well as the others. Dont get sucked in by a cheap price.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

If all things being equal on the installer and dealer side of things I’d go with Simonton.It May be dated but it is not a bad window . Is the Okna worth $500 more per hole? The answer is no. The 5500 is dated and bulky but a solid window

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Serious question though...How does the Simonton Contractor plan to stay in business or service the installation after the fact...if necessary?

Lead safe procedures?

BlackDuckDown

#6 Post by BlackDuckDown »

Thanks everyone for the replies thus far. We live in rural eastern NC. I understand the concerns on the Simonton pricing as I had the same thoughts. I have talked with numerous friends / clients (general contractors) of mine that use the Simonton installer and he is highly recommended. He has been in business for 15 years with two crews so he must be doing something right.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you feel he's vetted, I can't see that much of a justification for the better window although they are hardly performance competitors.

I am sure the cost of doing business is less down there, but I still don't know how you stay in business, long term. Honest question.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We are in the Philly area so energy savings are more important to us.
When I was younger and not informed as to how to check and see if a window was drafty or not I sold the 5500 all the time.
It leaks air badly. Probably not as important to you.
For that price and and your location maybe the 5500 works for you. If not the Okna would be my choice.

theWindowNerd