Pocket window solutions?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Auvie

Pocket window solutions?

#1 Post by Auvie »

Hi all,

Glad to have found this forum!

Our recently purchased home (built in ‘96) has all Pella windows, a combination of casement, picture, and double hung. Some are badly deteriorated, and need to be replaced.

As an example, I’ve attached a few pictures of one of the larger windows in the house. The frame seems to be in good shape, and has very nice styling that we’d like to preserve. The inserts themselves are another story, as you can see in the close-up; the wood has been destroyed by moisture getting trapped behind the metal cladding (not an uncommon occurrence, as I understand it).

I’d like to learn about potential options for pocket/insert replacement. It currently has two
casement windows in it, but they are not necessary and we’d by happy if they were all picture windows.

The local Pella office says they can’t do anything other than a full tear-out and replacement, frame and all. I’m skeptical, but I’ve only spoke with their sales reps so far, not their service department. In any case, I’m happy to consider any option/material, Pella or otherwise. We’re just trying to preserve the frames, the aesthetic, and minimize exterior work.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. We live in Northwest Arkansas, if anyone happens to service the area.

Thank you,
Adam G.
A66CECCC-1194-4AD0-8AF0-615671943A6C.jpeg
BA151975-10D4-46E1-A172-09F01D3C80BE.jpeg

TheWindowNerd

Re: Pocket window solutions?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most salespeople do not know much technically about installs.
Ask them about getting two new sash only. You have Architect series there now, so they should still support that series. You will need to go through the service department, not through sales. Most Pella distributors mark up parts more than regular. Some options/thoughts order two new windows and swap out the sash, this is easy. Order two new sash may b more than the whole two windows. Buy your Pella from some other source like a big box or ABC supply.
Then hire a handy man to swap out sash, you will have to pay a minimum service charge, there just is not that much labor in doing it, 2 hours max.
theWindowNerd.com

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

There is no reason that a full frame tear out would be needed on these. You either have an uninformed point of contact, or that location simply chooses to offer only full tear outs.

If all else is in good shape and you like the windows, WN's recommendation of replacing the sashes is certainly valid. Alternatively, if you wanted to open up other options (different products, configurations, etc), you could certainly cut the mulls out leaving the original frame in place, and then install a pocket replacement of your choice.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

For longevity on any and all other similar pella units: consider at minimum on the exterior sealing the bottom rail aluminum to the glass by running a bead of clear or white silicone. You can do this to all four sides too.
theWindowNerd: helping client obtains better results for their window pains

Auvie

#5 Post by Auvie »

Thank you both for the helpful replies. Sash replacement is what we are leaning towards, as we really like the mull styling as is (seems to be hard to find in newer window products).

Is Pella our only option for new sashes, or might there be options with other manufacturers, and/or alternative materials? No need for them to open/close. We did have a vinyl person in, but all they could offer was an insert that had a double-border, which we weren’t too keen on.

Update: I just spoke with someone at the Pella AR/MS service department, and they claim that sash replacement is not possible because these windows are "discontinued". I tried calling the national number, but it asked for my zip code, so I assumed I would just get routed back to the local entity I just spoke with.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yeah that is a wonderful thing about Pella, they do not support their products very long.
They discontinued Proline and do not support any longer. But you have Architect series which should still be supported.
I wanted you to get pella sash cuz they will fit properly and look good, like they belong.
For another option, non venting you have to find a excellent window person that will get you a vinyl picture sash only, also referred to as a dead lite sash.
Where are you located? City, state?

Auvie

#7 Post by Auvie »

Yeah, even though the Architect series is active, they are saying that any ones older than 2004 have been discontinued.

I am located in Northwest Arkansas (Rogers). Thank you.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

They have no shame and dink cool aid.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Your best bet will be to get replacement windows in that case Auvie. The mulls can stay in, although you'll lose a lot of glass in doing that.

Yes, you could install a bunch of deadlites (fixed sashes) from another company, but :
1) As WN stated you would need someone extraordinarily competent to complete that and look/perform halfway decent
2) Most guys with said competency are going to look at that as a hack job (which I'd tend to agree with) and won't do it.

... and keep in mind that I said most, but the odds of that turning out well just aren't very good.

Auvie

#10 Post by Auvie »

HomeSealed, would you mind clarifying what you mean by replacing windows while "the mulls can stay in"? If the sashes in between the mulls cannot easily be replaced, wouldn't the mulls have to be taken out along with the rotten sashes to be able to install any replacement window(s)?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

No. He mentioned deadlites previously and you could set deadlites or sashes in those openings, trim out the exteriors, and cap.