Clad Wood Windows for new addition in New Orleans

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
realkuny

Clad Wood Windows for new addition in New Orleans

#1 Post by realkuny »

We are enclosing a long side porch on our house to turn it into living space: mudroom, bedroom, bathroom, and breakfast nook. There's a total of 7 rough openings in these new rooms. The existing house is all wood windows so we wanted to go with clad windows in the addition so we could paint the sashes and trim to match.

So far I've gotten a quote for Pella Lifestyle windows: 6 double hung and a double casement for the one larger rough opening. The quote was pricey but certainly cheaper than what the local mill shops quoted for full on old school spanish cedar windows with sash weights, etc. I was just about ready to pull the trigger with Pella until I checked online reviews and the general consensus has left me less than confident. As I said, framing and rough openings are already in place so I've got to get an order in asap.

Is there another brand I should be checking out while I still have a little time? Bonus points if anyone knows of their availability in the New Orleans area. Any advice is much appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Clad Wood Windows for new addition in New Orleans

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is that what you want? Wood interior?

I'd look at Marvin Elevate or Ultimate.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I concur with WoW. Marvin and Kolbe would be two good alternatives.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would add AW 400 Woodwright and 400 casement

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Another vote for Marvins and Kolbe for a wood interior.

realkuny

#6 Post by realkuny »

Windows on Washington wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:27 am Is that what you want? Wood interior?

I'd look at Marvin Elevate or Ultimate.
Yep we are looking for wood interior since it is an old New Orleans house with a ton of wood windows, cypress doors, etc.

Thanks for the Marvin suggestion. I'll put in a call to one of the local dealers.

Re: Kolbe windows. The local dealer said they're at a 6 month lead time which is out of the question for us since we've already done framing. They suggested an Andersen alternative that is running at a 4 week lead time.

Overall, would both Marvin and Andersen be better quality than the Pella Lifestyle? When I briefly searched Pella reviews online it left me feeling queasy. I suppose if I spent a bunch of money on windows and they failed I might want to put the word out online but if they did just fine I would forget about them and carry on living my life so maybe the reviews are weighted negative.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have been in the industry for 45 years.
Pella has the most failures, lack of quality, lack of long term support. and general arrogance.
The Andersen 400 Woodwright is a good clad wood window, I also like the Marvin Elevate.

realkuny

#8 Post by realkuny »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:54 am I have been in the industry for 45 years.
Pella has the most failures, lack of quality, lack of long term support. and general arrogance.
The Andersen 400 Woodwright is a good clad wood window, I also like the Marvin Elevate.
Thank you for this info. I'll definitely be taking a look at these alternatives. With any luck the dealers are actually shooting me straight on the lead times and I'll be getting windows in a month.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

realkuny wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:36 pm Overall, would both Marvin and Andersen be better quality than the Pella Lifestyle?
Having installed and serviced all three, along with seeing older units in homes over the past couple of decades, I'd say yes with no hesitation. I'd also personally put the Marvin decisively above Andersen.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I’d rule out the Pella and the Andersen 400 and perhaps the elevate. The Pella. Is designed poorly, the 400 uses outdated jambliners, the Elevate looks clunky. The Marvin ultimate has the Most traditional looks, the Andersen A-Series and Woodwright look great As well. The Ultimate is aluminum clad , The A Series is fiberglass clad on the sashes and the Woodwright is Fibrex clad. I’d suggest taking the time to look and operate theses windows in person. As far as service goes I’d take Andersen hands down.

realkuny

#11 Post by realkuny »

toddinmn wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:27 am I’d rule out the Pella and the Andersen 400 and perhaps the elevate. The Pella. Is designed poorly, the 400 uses outdated jambliners, the Elevate looks clunky. The Marvin ultimate has the Most traditional looks, the Andersen A-Series and Woodwright look great As well. The Ultimate is aluminum clad , The A Series is fiberglass clad on the sashes and the Woodwright is Fibrex clad. I’d suggest taking the time to look and operate theses windows in person. As far as service goes I’d take Andersen hands down.
I think we are going with Andersen Woodwright as the quoted lead time from the respective dealers is 4 weeks versus 11-12 weeks for Marvin. The Pella people are pulling out corny sales tactics like "the price of glass is going up next week so you need to order now!" Combine that with the advice I've received here and they are squarely out of the running.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

realkuny wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:50 pm
toddinmn wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:27 am I’d rule out the Pella and the Andersen 400 and perhaps the elevate. The Pella. Is designed poorly, the 400 uses outdated jambliners, the Elevate looks clunky. The Marvin ultimate has the Most traditional looks, the Andersen A-Series and Woodwright look great As well. The Ultimate is aluminum clad , The A Series is fiberglass clad on the sashes and the Woodwright is Fibrex clad. I’d suggest taking the time to look and operate theses windows in person. As far as service goes I’d take Andersen hands down.
I think we are going with Andersen Woodwright as the quoted lead time from the respective dealers is 4 weeks versus 11-12 weeks for Marvin. The Pella people are pulling out corny sales tactics like "the price of glass is going up next week so you need to order now!" Combine that with the advice I've received here and they are squarely out of the running.
Unfortunately frequent price increases have been a theme over the past two years, that very well may not be a sales tactic. You made a better choice IMO anyway, just not likely for that reason.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

Homesealed nailed that , it’s not uncommon to see price increases in 1 year that exceed a 5 year period from years past. The market is not stable by any means and don’t expect price cuts because Elon did .

realkuny

#14 Post by realkuny »

toddinmn wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:59 am Homesealed nailed that , it’s not uncommon to see price increases in 1 year that exceed a 5 year period from years past. The market is not stable by any means and don’t expect price cuts because Elon did .
Yeah I hear you guys. Just more of a slimy feeling from this particular salesman that made me even more ready to move on.

One more kinda detail question. Should I be ordering these for nail fin installation? The reason I ask is that the framing work and the interior rough in (plumbing, electrical, HVAC) have been done. We were hoping to continue with exterior siding, trim, and painting while waiting for windows but I'm not sure if I quite understand the order of operations. From what I have read, the nail fin installation offers a better envelope but would require removal/lack of siding. I'm curious whether it would make sense to go ahead with that exterior work and install the windows in a different way.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Your installer would really be the best person to answer this. Is it the same company doing the windows and siding? This may affect the measurements as well, especially the jamb depth.

If I were installing I'd wait for the windows, install them with nail fins, then do the siding. There are ways do do what you are suggesting, but they'd be a bit more complicated.