replacement casement window options?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
57ringo

Re: replacement casement window options?

#31 Post by 57ringo »

The salesman selling Marvin and Provia called today and I told him I was also looking at Sunrise, Soft-lite and Okna. He said Soft-lite wasn't even close to the quality the Provia window and the Marvin was going to take a 7 percent price hike in Feb.

toddinmn

#32 Post by toddinmn »

He is 1/2 right at best.

57ringo

#33 Post by 57ringo »

Got a quote from Okna today from Continental Siding. Triple pane started out $51,244 and came down to $41,016 after some rebates he thought were still good and double pane was $37,997. They have a 50 year complete transferable warranty. The salesman was very knowledgeable on his windows and like all the others, said theirs are the very best. He said that they are solid polymer frames, not hollow foam filled vinyl and that is one reason these are much better than the rest including Sunrise and Soft-lite. ???

Windows on Washington

#34 Post by Windows on Washington »

Guessing he was quoting the EVO in this case? That is a different window in terms of frame construction. Definitely considered the superior in their line up.

HomeSealed

#35 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Sounds like you were quoted the Starmark Evo 7500. Phenomenal window and it is indeed different than the others, performance numbers are off the charts. DP 80, air leakage .01, and triple pane with argon u value of .16. Has a slick four sided locking system as well. If it's within your budget, I don't think you could find a better window.

That said, you have some other solid options on the table as well going back to the Sunrise and the Softlite. The guy that said the SL isn't even close to SL quality should be disqualified immediately for being completely ignorant and uninformed, OR just a bald-faced liar.

57ringo

#36 Post by 57ringo »

He mentioned the air leakage .03...said that's the best there is.....Is the Okna triple pane at $41,016 almost twice as good as the Sunrise restoration windows for $22,721 or Softlite Elite for $21,340 though? I'm 66 years old so a 50 year warranty on the Okna isn't as important as it once might have been. I don't remember what the warranty on the other two was.

57ringo

#37 Post by 57ringo »

He was also saying how much better the Okna was and that any vinyl windows like the others I mentioned would tend to sag and leak because they weren't near as good as the Okna polymer windows.

toddinmn

#38 Post by toddinmn »

No it is not , the Sunrise and Soft-Lite will do every thing you need, the Okna might perform a little better if you get cat 5 hurricane and perhaps the looks suit you better. The 5o year warranty is laughable and meaningless.

57ringo

#39 Post by 57ringo »

I'm in eastern ks so a cat 5 hurricane should be out of the question but a tornado is possible but then the windows would be the last thing I'd be concerned about :)

HomeSealed

#40 Post by HomeSealed »

The Okna composite casement is a .01 air leakage, not .03.

It is a better window with superior ratings by all metrics. With that said, TWICE the price would be hard to justify on product alone. Are there differences in the product options or installation types? For instance pocket installs vs full frames with new interior woodwork would be a huge difference.
We also don't know exactly how many windows you have other than being 11 openings. You mentioned that some were multi-window openings, but that could mean anything from 9 singles and 2 twins (for a total 13 windows) to 10 triples and one quad with a half round transom (for a total of 35). I suspect that it's somewhere in between, but each frame does count.

Without knowing all of the details it's hard to say much beyond : yes, the Okna composite is better, but no, probably not to that extent in the price difference if all else is equal, and if the other options are quality installation companies.

As far as the warranty, not sure why that would be "laughable and meaningless"? I suppose that comment just refers to this comparison? If so, that's fair as the warranty between the three products is comparable, not sure about the workmanship/labor.

57ringo

#41 Post by 57ringo »

All windows have been quoted as pocket installs....the same type installation on all bids. The 11 openings there are 5 twin casements, 2 twin picture ( didn't need to open in the garage) 2 small singles each side of the fireplace, one triple(2 side casements with one center picture) and a quad ( 2 center picture).

toddinmn

#42 Post by toddinmn »

It is not better in all metrics, the air and U-values are pretty much the same, only in DP ratings is it better.
The Dp rating on the 7500 is superb but it’s overkill in most applications .

Windows on Washington

#43 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is the thermal value quoted. Agree with the other posters. Love that window, but not 2X kind of love.

Is there a standard vinyl Okna dealer that can quote you their vinyl casement, i.e. not the composite?

57ringo

#44 Post by 57ringo »

I called Okna and they said Continental was the only dealer in my area. The salesman here called someone and asked if a vinyl casement was available and they said it was not.

57ringo

#45 Post by 57ringo »

57ringo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:03 pm I called Okna and they said Continental was the only dealer in my area. The salesman here called someone and asked if a vinyl casement was available and they said it was not. When I mentioned also being interested in Sunrise and Soft-lite he was adamant about the vinyl windows sagging and warping and he "hated" to see me pursuing them for that reason.