I Need To Determine What I Really Have: Milgard or Not

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
graybeard47

I Need To Determine What I Really Have: Milgard or Not

#1 Post by graybeard47 »

My vinyl doors and windows were installed in 1992 (Still very pleased with them, still) Using a contractor who was authorized by two manufacturers, the sliding doors were to be Milgard and the windows are by All Weather that is now Simonton.

Years of opening-closing one slider up to about 2 dozen times a day(pet doorman) it is apparent that the rollers are worn out. Milgard's 1st initial visit started, it was not Milgard, &
service guys left. However, after calling the contractor, Milgard came back & took all sorts of pictures of the door and the roller mechanism. The contracting firm called me about a week later if Milgard had set up another appointment: They showed proof of their order for two complete sliding door units & Milgard accepted my sliding doors are theirs. As no, I did receive a call for another Milgard Service call to install the new rollers. This crew was not the same one from the first visit and the whole mess started again. Fortunately all the photos, name who provided them,who decided it's their product was well documented. They too, did not have the right rollers but right away were given a photo of it so they could get it requested correctly.

What bothers me that both crews just looking at the door and bottom track immediately stated it was not Milgard no matter how long the units were installed. They all pointed the differences
from their experience with their product but none of them have been with the company since the manufacturing of the sliders.

It may very well be that Milgard just stepped up for their own reasons. So what is my concern?
My wife is still flaming mad how the contractor treated his installer the whole time, whining constantly about matters that were not related to the job & the custom living room curtains that were hanging out the opening when she came home early when the old huge windows were pulled out. Thus, she strongly believes that we did not receive the door units that we originally paid for.

So, is there anything about the frame that holds the roller track and the two glass panels that would distinguish this as Milgard ,no matter how old it is?

Thank you

Windows on Washington

Re: I Need To Determine What I Really Have: Milgard or Not

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Going back that far, it is tough for me to say what the distinguishing characteristics might have been. Is there no serial number or other identifying label?

graybeard47

#3 Post by graybeard47 »

Both Milgard Service Teams could not find any serial numbers or tags that would substantiate their claims other than the "visuals" they have been introduced in their service careers to date.
Milgard may well have pictures of this frame besides the invoice from the installer that was provided to them that brought them on board.
I would suspect that Milgard's Corporate Office has something but for me to go there seems an extreme long shot to muddy the water. I can only hope that someone who has dealt with this line,too for so many years can provide an answer.

Thank you

Renovationaddict

#4 Post by Renovationaddict »

I am having the same problem.

Old windows from the 1990s. The seals are leaking. No serial. Milgard says they need it in order to process a warranty claim.

Has anyone found out where the identifying numbers for their windows may elsewhere be located?

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Renovationaddict wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:48 pm I am having the same problem.

Old windows from the 1990s. The seals are leaking. No serial. Milgard says they need it in order to process a warranty claim.

Has anyone found out where the identifying numbers for their windows may elsewhere be located?
Glass seals?

I'd assume that you didn't own the home when they were installed? If you did, calling the installation company (if still around) would be the easiest. If not, open the windows in search in the jambs (primarily head/upper), sides of sashes, etc. All it takes is one sticker from one window to get the order number that they should be able to reference in most cases.

With that said, at that age and with the possibility that you weren't the homeowner that had them installed, you may not have warranty coverage anyway.

Lastly, if you were so inclined, a local glass shop should be able to make new glass units for you. What condition are these windows in otherwise? I'd only caution against investing too much into windows that may already be pushing 30 yrs old anyway.