Cinderblock replacement window options

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
VaBob

Cinderblock replacement window options

#1 Post by VaBob »

Howdy all, I have a cinderblock constructed shop and I just noticed that window on the northside of the building is starting to rot away. At first I thought it was just the exterior trim, bit one I started taking it down to replace it, I noticed that the original wood window frame was starting to rot away also. I guess I didnt notice because the rot is starting right under the block edge so it didnt allow a lot of water to enter.

The block opening is 32x52 and I was looking at the box stores for replacement. I dont need very expensive replacements because its a workshop. I guess the only 2 things I might look for in features is sound deadening and ability to seal it for air intrusion. Since I have access to the block on both sides, I assume new construction is needed to completely remove the wood.

Any recommendations or tips/tricks? Any questions I havnt thought to ask?

Thanks for you time guys.

Windows on Washington

Re: Cinderblock replacement window options

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most times, if there was rot, folks will rip out the whole unit to the bare block, install a PVC buck frame, and set a new window. Given the lack of trim around the window to block interface, a flanged window is not usually appropriate.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If the block opening is true I would tapcon the vinyl window directly into the block . allow 1/4" deduction around the perimeter so you can spray window and door foam, flat trim both sides and caulk.

theWindowNerd.com

uncle eddie

#4 Post by uncle eddie »

Both good methods above. Build a rot-proof buck or just go right into the block.

VaBob

#5 Post by VaBob »

First I'd like to say thanks for your replies.

I was hoping to do the direct into block install. I just wasnt sure if that was common practice or not.

When I google my rough opening, the only thing that comes up is new install windows from big box stores. Can anyone tell me if the rough opening of 32x52 a common size or will I have to order custom replacements? I have a couple window retailers around me to go looking, but Im trying to do a little research before I go.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't think that is a size that you will find on the shelf anywhere, no. Most windows are custom ordered to size these days and depending on the manufacturer, lead times have improved quite a bit from where they were as well.

If you are in a pinch for time for some reason you could pick up whatever "stock" window is closest (and smaller), but it won't likely produce a great result.

VaBob

#7 Post by VaBob »

Im sure you're right about that. So when I talk to the local store I should just tell them what Im planning and let them do what they do best? Im still going to install it myself but I dont mind taking the advice of people more knowledgeable than me.