Can a vynal window be as good as a composite window?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Endlessquest

Can a vynal window be as good as a composite window?

#1 Post by Endlessquest »

Thanks for your website, I've gained a lot of good info here. I've gotten quotes to replace a 28 year old Anderson two single double hung windows and a half moon top third window. I got 4 estimates to replace with Anderson composite windows and also with vynal windows.

The quotes for the Andersons are around 10k to 13k and for United & Ideal vynals around 5.5k. As far a labor for warranty work, it's included with the Anderson Windows but the warranty labor is not included with the vynal windows.

My delema is this. Should I bite the bullet and stay with the Andersons since this is my forever home and this window is subject to NorEaster storms or go with the Ideal or United vynal windows for about half the price? Can a vynal window be as good as a composite window?

Thanks for your opinions on this!

Windows on Washington

Re: Can a vynal window be as good as a composite window?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the window in comparison is good...yes. Most of the times, in that comparison with andersen composite, the good vinyl will be better.

Who is quoting you $5.5K for 28 windows?

Endlessquest

#3 Post by Endlessquest »

Not 28 windows...3 windows (2 double hung with a half moon topper).

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

A good window is a good window regardless of material. In most cases, the material (vinyl, composite, wood, fiberglass, etc) that is "BEST" for your application will depend on your needs and goals for your new windows.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Since you are only replacing a few windows I would want something that matches the others unless you plan on gradually replacing all. Since this a forever home you want continuity with your windows. If you see replacing the rest of the windows you may want to go with vinyl . I think there is more to consider here.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would suggest looking at some high performnce vinyl: OKna800DX or higher, Vytex Potomac or higher.
In Andersen Windows I suggest Woodwright or higher.