Okna window price quote to low?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Endlessquest

Okna window price quote to low?

#1 Post by Endlessquest »

I'm replacing 3 windows, 2 double hung with a half moon topper.

I got a quote from Window Depot USA for the Okna 600 vynal windows for $2400 installed.

The quote from Tri-State Window Factory for their 4200 windows is $4300 installed.

Two other window companies quoted $5000 for United windows and $5600 for Ideal windows.

My question is that the Okna windows are the highest rated but the lowest bid. Are there any red flags that I should be concerned about?...that quote seems way to low compared to my other quotes.

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna window price quote to low?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Well...the other two numbers are certainly more in line with the normal. Not sure what Window Depot this is or how they run their set up.

Have you checked the salesperson's math? Wouldn't be the first time one of the guys in the field got the math wrong.

Endlessquest

#3 Post by Endlessquest »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:38 pm Well...the other two numbers are certainly more in line with the normal. Not sure what Window Depot this is or how they run their set up.

Have you checked the salesperson's math? Wouldn't be the first time one of the guys in the field got the math wrong.
I did go back to the showroom to look at the window and the salesman did say he probably quoted me to low of a price but said he'd honer that quote.

It's just that every bit of advice you hear about home improvement projects is to throw out highest bid and the lowest bid and go somewhere in the middle.

I'm just concerned if they will be cutting corners in the installation or perhaps open up the window and say you need additional work that wasn't included.

Normally I'd drop this quote but he is the only dealer in my area carrying the Okna windows. Again, almost all of their reviews online were positive so this has me scratching my head.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

"It's just that every bit of advice you hear about home improvement projects is to throw out highest bid and the lowest bid and go somewhere in the middle." I disagree with this thought, always have. Are you looking for the average solution to your project or the best value.
I do agree the number seems crazy low. If they came back to you and said it was $1000 more it would begin to approach reasonable and sustainable. Your project is low volume, one opening with a twin and half round transom.
All of that said. The 600DX is the best product.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Definitely the best product. If he said he screwed up the price, then it kind of validates that it was too low. If he is willing to honor it...I'd say go with it. Do him a solid and be sure to tip the guys out.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Choosing the “ price in the middle” is akin to throwing a dart aimlessly at a board.
What would prevent a low end company with below average installers and a very low end product from pricing their windows in the middle just to create the illusion of good value? Does that mean all window’s priced in the middle are always suspect? Of course not, just never base your decision soley on that assumption while ignoring other variables.

Looking4info

#7 Post by Looking4info »

Like the pros have said price is just one factor when picking a company.

I had a similar setup replaced and got quotes from a few companies and for the 400, 500 and 600.

Prices ranged 1900 to 2800.

Went with the 600s and couldn't be happier. Researching the company and their reviews and how they stand by the product/labor.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

How long has this Window Depot in your area been in business? Don't go by the "corporate" timeline, these are generally individually owned franchises.

If they are established and reputable in your area (hopefully 10+ years in business), and his pricing was in error (it IS extraordinarily low), then I agree it seems like the best choice. It most certainly IS the best product by a fair margin.

Endlessquest

#9 Post by Endlessquest »

Thanks guys for all your input and advice. I went Back to the Window Depot showroom and spoke with the salesman and owner. I discussed my installation concerns and they addressed all my questions. I asked for copies of their installation waruntee and the Okna window waruntee which they provided. So hopefully I'll have a positive update in 8 weeks on my 600 series windows.