Window replacement on LI

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Liwindowsratch

Window replacement on LI

#1 Post by Liwindowsratch »

First post and a few different questions:

Got a quote from an Okna installer in Nassau county for:
Front door
Entry door to garage

13 double hung okna 800 dlx
1 large bay (88"x44")
1 large tempered bow consisting of 5 casement windows (115"x69")
1 24 inch octagon tempered bathroom window
1 sliding patio door (68")
3 hopper basement windows
For 39k first quote so wondering if that seems a bit much.

Does anyone know any okna installers in Nassau cty long island? I've tried googling to find onka installers and they don't seem too common around here.

How much would I save by going for 600 series or 500 series.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window replacement on LI

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What type of window removal?

Roof kits for the bay/bow?

Before we even talk about options and other yet to be defined parameters that will make the job more expensive, I come up with a job that is easily North of 30K. So their number isn't outlandish by any measure.

You won't save that much going from the 800 to the 600.

Liwindowsratch

#3 Post by Liwindowsratch »

Thank you for your reply.

House is a 50s brick split level with asbestos shingle siding.

I believe it will be pocket installation. 3 of the double hung installations will involve removal of a center million and mulling 2 windows together.

The bay window will have a roofing kit to best match the existing roofing material.

The bow will be trimmed in white vinyl as the window currently does not have its own roof (installed directly under soffit)

No grids, standard colors for the windows.

Entry door will be an HMI Moda single door in blue with Niagara glass inserts and matching storm door.

Interior door is a standard fire rated door.

Company seems to be one of 2 in the area and advertises they've been around for 4 generations. Will also see if I can get a quote from Window King soon.

Looking4info

#4 Post by Looking4info »

Sounds like you are talking about major homes

Window king is the other one (as you stated)

And Window depot of lower ny would be the last company in the area for okna windows

Liwindowsratch

#5 Post by Liwindowsratch »

Yes, have you also heard of a company called Accu-Seal (spelling?) windows and doors?

I got a call from them after I filled out the info request on okna's website and they said they'd give me a quote over the phone. The quote ended up being a few thousand more than Major.

I found that odd so I did some research and could not find much on the company.

I wish Okna sent me the installer info rather than give installers my info.

I have Window King coming for a quote tomorrow.

@looking4info
Did you have any experience with any of these Installers?

Endlessquest

#6 Post by Endlessquest »

I also was looking for the Okna Windows for my replacement project. (See my posts in this group).

Wndow Depot of Lower NY carries the Okna 600 window and Major Homes in Queens carries the Okna 800 window.

Window Depot came in with the lowest quote by half of what the other company's came in with their Ideal, United and Tri- State vynal Windows.

I was concerned about the low quote but they are the only ones with the window I wanted. I researched all their reviews on Google, Yelp and Angie's List and they are all mostly positive for their installation work. The franchise has been in business for 11 years and they provided me with their installation waruntee in writing whan I asked for a copy.

With all that I decided to give them a chance and ordered my Windows. They should be in by May.

Liwindowsratch

#7 Post by Liwindowsratch »

Thank you for your reply

I found your posts very interesting and hope you have a smooth installation with Window Depot.

One thing that bothers me about my Major homes quote is that they wouldn't give me a price breakdown on each type of window I was installing. They wouldn't even assign a separate price for the door project. On one hand I understand that the price given is a package price and so taking different pieces out would change the package price they offered differently but it would be nice to have an idea of which windows I should put a priority on.

My double hung are single pane so they would be a must do.
Hoppers and the octagon are a must do.
The others are andersen double panes from the early eighties and should be replaced.

Already have a wood door and storm door so it is a 'would be nice to do but perfectly happy with what we have'

Interior fire door is lowest on the list.

Just preaching to the choir.

Looking4info

#8 Post by Looking4info »

I got quotes from all 3.

Found window depot to be the best for explaining things and making sure you get what you need (best prices as well).

I'm happy with the purchase but if any area for improvement was installation. Nothing critical to quality just some cosmetic and damage/scuffs to the areas and areas that shouldn't have been affect. Clean up could use a little improvement but the biggest is showing up on time.

I think anyone would be happy with either 3 companies

Liwindowsratch

#9 Post by Liwindowsratch »

Had Window King come by today, low pressure, very nice rep
Quote ended up being over my original quote but he said they would match and beat by 500. True to their promise on their website.

I mentioned Window Depot and he said Window King and Major were the only 2 he knew of in the area.

Seems like Okna may be experimenting with offering certain lines to installers outside of the main ones.

Once he heard my number from Major, he offered to upgrade me to Starmark Evo for the price of his original lowest price. Rep left a bunch of brochures and positive impressions.

Sure enough his written quote matched Major's quote and mentioned I could upgrade to Starmark for 41k. I like that his quote broke down each component and the cost.

Home depot called to reschedule. I canceled the visit.

Decisions decisions.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

EVO is a really nice unit. That's a heck of an upgrade.

Liwindowsratch

#11 Post by Liwindowsratch »

Should a difference in Installation method influence my pick in any way? One company says they don't use spray foam to seal and just uses the 2 foam pieces wrapped around the outside of the window and thats enough.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Some folks are old school. Don't know why you wouldn't use window and door foam these days. Not like it's "fringe" now and days.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think that W&D foam should make a difference in your choice. I is so much better on several levels.
TheWindowNerd