replacement casement window options?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Windows on Washington

Re: replacement casement window options?

#76 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

The price metric is a good evaluation as part of a suite of tools, but I wouldn't make it centric to your focus. Uncle Eddie did point out that the Restoration is reserved for a well vetted dealer so you have some protection from the "cheapest price" trappings in this case.

57ringo

#77 Post by 57ringo »

The other company earlier quoted $22,721.90 for triple pane Sunrise Restoration pocket installed casement windows like the latest bid I received. Both installs are similar, flashing tape, OSI caulking and low expanding foam. Am I missing something why there is $4K difference in the price? One company is out of Topeka ks, the other one from Wichita.

HomeSealed

#78 Post by HomeSealed »

57ringo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:31 pm The other company earlier quoted $22,721.90 for triple pane Sunrise Restoration pocket installed casement windows like the latest bid I received. Both installs are similar, flashing tape, OSI caulking and low expanding foam. Am I missing something why there is $4K difference in the price? One company is out of Topeka ks, the other one from Wichita.
-How long has each company been in business?

-Do they each have a physical location?

-What is their rating and google, BBB, and other review sites, and on how many reviews?

-How many employees do they have and are they well paid with benefits?

-How long do they warranty their installation?

-What type of volume do they each do in sales each year?

-Is there a difference in cost of living in Wichita vs Topeka? Does one or the other have more window companies and greater competition?

There is no "right or wrong" answer to most of those questions, but they will offer some insight as to the pricing difference. The VAST majority of price differences in this industry have far more to do with all of the costs of doing business than they do the cost of the window itself.

57ringo

#79 Post by 57ringo »

Mid america exteriors in Wichita started in 1990, Window Design & Remodeling from Silver Lake ks ( by Topeka) started in 1987. MAE has 149 google reviews at 4.5 stars, WD&R has 25 google reviews at 5 stars. MAE warranty is 3 years for them, WD&R is 1 year. I don't know the volume but both advertise a lot too. I had Continental Siding bid Okna windows, many employees, competition & advertise all the time but the bid was more than twice the price of these.

TheWindowNerd

#80 Post by TheWindowNerd »

At this point which do you have the most confidence in?
Why?

57ringo

#81 Post by 57ringo »

Since I've not dealt with either, I'm researching them yet....leaning towards MAE right now though.

HomeSealed

#82 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd vet them a bit deeper if possible. A 4.5 on google is not great, something like 4.8+ is hard to do at any measurable volume. 5 stars on only 25 reviews isn't anything to write home about either, although I suppose that I'd lean that direction. I'm not sure how you can be in business for over 30 years and only have 25 reviews unless you are extraordinarily low volume. If you have some 4.8, 4.9 star companies on triple digit reviews, I'd be looking that direction. You'll probably pay more, and there will also probably be a good reason. Just my $.02

57ringo

#83 Post by 57ringo »

Another question I have is do I want inserts or full frame. The higher bid company said he suggested full frame because they did that in about 80 percent of their jobs. The other guy said I didn't need full frame window replacement but it would ad about $250/opening if they did. I only have one window frame with some rot they said they could repair it before wrapping. He said it would only lose about 2" of glass installing window inserts vs full frame install.

Windows on Washington

#84 Post by Windows on Washington »

More like 1.5" and not 2", but if that isn't an issue...I'd rather have the less expensive window installation. There are other reasons too, but a well done insert is more than applicable.

HomeSealed

#85 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to WoW's comments.

Also, I'm not sure that suggesting a full frame just because it's what they do 80% of the time is a very compelling reason. Pockets are generally a better bang for the buck by a long shot unless there are some legitimate reasons (a bunch or existing rot, deficiencies in original install, etc) that would warrant a full frame... Even then, it's important to know the details of what their "full frame" is. Someone removing the entirety of the old frame and sliding a new window in without a nail fin or much else is vastly different than removing interior and exterior trim, pulling the old frame with fin, installing new frame with fin, flashing tape, new head flashing, new trim inside and out, etc.

Unfortunately both are technically "full frame", and some unscrupulous window companies would have you believe that you are getting the same scope and benefits with the "quicky" version. IMO, it's very important to get a detailed scope of work when you are paying for a full frame installation. You should get that regardless of install type, but even more critical there.

57ringo

#86 Post by 57ringo »

I went to Wichita and visited MAE and bought the Sunrise restoration Casement pocket windows with the double pane Omega 12 glass package S2210a w/thermal U Plus vs the triple pane N3200a glass package I was originally looking at since they are closely rated. The SHGC rating is .01 better and that's more important to me than the U factor being .01 worse plus being over $2k cheaper than the triple pane. They said it would be about 8 weeks out for the install.

https://www.sunrisewindows.com/windows/ ... w-e-glass/

HomeSealed

#87 Post by HomeSealed »

57ringo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:27 pm I went to Wichita and visited MAE and bought the Sunrise restoration Casement pocket windows with the double pane Omega 12 glass package S2210a w/thermal U Plus vs the triple pane N3200a glass package I was originally looking at since they are closely rated. The SHGC rating is .01 better and that's more important to me than the U factor being .01 worse plus being over $2k cheaper than the triple pane. They said it would be about 8 weeks out for the install.

https://www.sunrisewindows.com/windows/ ... w-e-glass/
1) Congrats on the purchase!

2) SHGC is not better or worse in perfectly linear fashion like U value, it will depend on a variety of factors including your climate, the design and orientation of your home, etc. Very generally speaking a hot climate will want that number lower (blocking the heat) while a cold climate will want the number moderately higher to take advantage of "free heat" in the winter months. If your objective to reduce the solar heat rather than use it, then a lower number is "better".

3) As you might expect, there is a tradeoff that comes with getting essentially a triple pane U value at a double pane price, and that is that condensation resistance is decimated with that surface 4 coating. The good news is that in a somewhat moderate climate this isn't that big an issue, I would think Wichita should be all good... Just not ideal up here in the Northern region where most folks battle that condensation on cold winter nights.

57ringo

#88 Post by 57ringo »

I was curious what people on this board thought what the advantages and disadvantages would be between the the double and triple pane windows that are close to the same ratings.

Windows on Washington

#89 Post by Windows on Washington »

Zero.

If the triple pane window isn't approaching 20% more efficient, there is no benefit to it over an appropriately specified Low-e range double pane window.

57ringo

#90 Post by 57ringo »

Another question I have is OSI Quad vs NPC solar seal. Is there much difference? It looks like the OSI is mentioned more.