Request pro advice on sliding patio door

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Bdstuart

Request pro advice on sliding patio door

#1 Post by Bdstuart »

First of all, a HUGE thanks to all of the pros that spend the time to help educate people like me. I realize you don’t have to do this but choose to help.
I am in Cincinnati and found this board after getting a ridiculously expensive quote from RBA to replace 18 windows and 1 sliding patio door (windows all sliders and casement). I have since received quotes from Marvin and soft lite (elements) and sunrise will be next.

Questions
1. I have read here that Provia makes a good patio door. The soft lite dealer offers the Provia Endure for about $100 less than the soft lite. Is one a better door than the other or are they about equivalent?
2. The elements windows we were quoted were all triple pane, but the door double pane…should I consider triple pane on door as well.
3. How do the Provia and soft lite doors compare with sunrise?

Thanks in advance for the expert opinions and thanks again for all the contributions

Ricknez

Re: Request pro advice on sliding patio door

#2 Post by Ricknez »

I’ve used all three and prefer both the soft lite and sunrise.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

I do all three as well and don't care for ProVia's vinyl sliding patio door. It's an odd vinyl extrusion profile with an overly complicated screen system. I had too much QC issues with them as well. ProVia's hinged patio doors are top notch. The Sunrise door can be a little fussy, however an experienced installer should have no problem.

Bdstuart

#4 Post by Bdstuart »

Thank you for the insights and especially to Delaware Mike for the explanation. I will avoid the ProVia since so little cost savings.

Bdstuart

#5 Post by Bdstuart »

Is it possible (and/or recommended) to get triple pane glass in a sliding patio door? The SL elements I have a good quote for are all triple pane but the sliding doors were double…

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

It is possible. If you are going with triple glazing elsewhere, it certainly wouldn't be out of normalcy to get it there as well.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Good patio doors already weigh a ton.
TP is crazy heavy. Also the air space in most PD TP gets a little narrow.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We use the Okna 8800, great door,
In DP .26 U
in TP argon .19 U , in krypton .16 U

Bdstuart

#9 Post by Bdstuart »

Thanks for the additional info. I had not thought about or considered the weight of the door, but that is an interesting point to consider.
In general it has not been clear to me if I should go with double or triple pane in the windows.

Unfortunately there are zero Okna options here; I emailed the company a few weeks ago, so my best bets seem to be Soft-lite or Sunrise.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I'll just add one more confirmation for The Sunrise and Softlite door options as superior to the Provia. Most pros are high on Provia entry doors (including hinged "patio doors"), but as mentioned above, their vinyl sliders aren't generally considered to be upper tier.

If you haven't gotten that Sunrise quote yet, Windows Direct of Cincinnati would be worth a call. Good company, the owner contributes here as well.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

I become less "up" on Provia entry doors by the day.

Bdstuart

#12 Post by Bdstuart »

Thanks homesealed and wow.
In fact, the Sunrise quote will be tomorrow night from Windows Direct of Cincinnati. I only hope that it isn’t another “good price only if you commit tonight” because I got that impression with some of those warning signs.

I will post more when I have a good comparative quote…so far I have one good/reasonable quote on the SL Elements, a quote from a different SL installer for the SL Imperial (and only good for one night and more $ than the Elements; then the 30 day quote was another 45% higher…needless to say they have been eliminated), a quote that is too high for Marvin and a ridiculous quote from RBA.

Again, appreciate everyone’s time, it is so helpful and insightful

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

There are occasions where a “price is only good for today” has some validity. Example, a company has gone outside their normal coverage area in order to accommodate a homeowner. There are other reasons as well. Of course you also have some bs reasons.

Bdstuart

#14 Post by Bdstuart »

masterext wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:13 pm There are occasions where a “price is only good for today” has some validity. Example, a company has gone outside their normal coverage area in order to accommodate a homeowner. There are other reasons as well. Of course you also have some bs reasons.
Valid point. This was Window Nation who seems to have a large presence in this area. I also could understand a slight increase for the extra time involved for future discussions, but a 45% markup and the general attitude/approach was stereotype “used car salesman” (for example he didn’t want to talk about total cost, kept wanting to just show me what he could do for the monthly payment). Bottom line is I have a 10x better feel for the capabilities and approach of the SL Elements dealer in this area and their 30-day price is about $4k less than the only good today quote for the SL Imperial Elite (which seems to be the Imperial LS). I will also soon have a quote on Sunrise from another reputable dealer in the area (and this board). Okna is not offered here.

Another fact if there are any other thoughts from all the helpful experts/pros…I now have quotes on the SL sliding door in double and triple pane. TP is $15 more but as was pointed out will be a heavier door.

Final question, sorry have one more, how much noticeable difference/visible difference is there with VT numbers in regards to how much light comes into house/how much the window appears to be tinted? Is there a noticeable difference between VT differences of 10 or 20 or not really at all?

Thanks in advance. I continue to be grateful for people’s willingness to educate the uneducated like me to help us make informed decisions.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

1) I'd agree with masterext in that the discount needs to have context. A $20k price tonight only that becomes $40k tomorrow is nonsense. That said, a company that has a sales team and runs some volume does run more efficiently and profitably with a shorter sales cycle, so passing along a few bucks at the initial appointment is not out of line. They save so you save... again, within reason.

2) Patio door DP vs TP: For a small price premium I'd take that in a heartbeat. Yes it will be slightly heavier but it will not make or break the operation. It will however make that giant hole in your wall a bit more efficient.

3) On pricing overall, I'd be careful of who to disqualify when a large discrepancy is seen. Far more folks become "statistics" in this industry by choosing the low-end price than the high end. It's very possible that the high end guy could be gouging, or he may be the one charging a sustainable price. You haven't offered any numbers which is fine, but I'd estimate that for 18 windows and a patio door you will probably see a range from mid $20's to $30's depending on options etc. I suspect that RBA was well north of that ($40-50K?)