Don Young Aluminum vs Softlite Classic Plus - North Texas

Share your experiences with others
Stone84

Don Young Aluminum vs Softlite Classic Plus - North Texas

#1 Post by Stone84 »

Hello,
Thank you all for this wonderful resource! Long time reader, first time poster here.

Which do you all think is the better window, Don Young Aluminum or Softlite Classic Plus? Are there any other windows (brand and model) you would say are comparable to these? I'm looking for the best value for the price, not necessarily cheapest. Sadly Okna is not available in DFW based on my research.

I have waffled back and forth on which windows to go with. I almost decided to have the DY's installed last summer but held off due to finances. Should have done it... #inflation. This year I have seriously been considering the Softlite Classic Plus because they qualify for tax credits under the new inflation reduction act, but after doing some research here, it appears the Classic Plus windows are overly loved. One draw back on the DY windows is that they are single hung and while I don't necessarily need double hung throughout the house, there are three windows where DH would be beneficial. Separately my wife likes the DH for cleaning, but not sure that's a deal breaker for her.

Price comparison for 16 windows = DY $11,600 vs SL $12,750

Windows on Washington

Re: Don Young Aluminum vs Softlite Classic Plus - North Texas

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not a fan, as noted, of older SF models. Is it access that makes the windows difficult to clean? Second floor?

Stone84

#3 Post by Stone84 »

No, we're single story. It is a pier and beam, so top of the window is about 10ft off the ground outside, but yea not a big deal.

I don't think the DH is a big deal. SH will be ok, except on two of them mostly because of the layout of the house, there's always furniture in front of those two windows. I might press the installer to special order two DH because DY makes them.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Reveals will be different. Just FYI.

You can clean them from inside...and the reality is that folks rarely clean their windows or really need to.