Request pro advice on sliding patio door

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Bdstuart

Re: Request pro advice on sliding patio door

#16 Post by Bdstuart »

Huge thanks for all the info and advice.
Here is where I am at for quotes, 18 windows (majority sliders with a few casements) and one sliding door, all from different companies:

SL Elements (TP): $24k
SL Imperial Elite (DP): $28k (claimed it would jump to $49k if we didn’t sign that night…which we didn’t…but next day got email with same $28k quote
Infinity by Marvin:$42k
RBA: $49k
Sunrise: TBD

Bdstuart

#17 Post by Bdstuart »

All the quotes are in and we are down to weighing 2 good options with equally good and reputable installers. 13 sliders, 3 casements, 2 picture, 1 eyebrow, 1 sliding patio door
1. SL Elements, triple pane glass, ultra-s glass; $25k
2. Sunrise Restorations, double pane, HP SolarPlus12 glass; $28k (comes with the fiberglass sash reinforcement which I have learned here is important)

Warranties are the same, BBB ratings the same, google and Angie’s ratings the same. SL spoke about how much better triple pane is; Sunrise talked about not really required here with the DP and top of the line glass coating package ( we are considered north central for energy star)
We are a little worried about how much less natural light might come in as our house is a bit dark to begin with, so light from windows helps combat the darkness. We will likely try to go to showroom in next couple of days to see the windows and doors in person.

Any thoughts, items to consider or recommendations would be valued and appreciated.

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

Triple pane and the better window. Easy decision.

toddinmn

#19 Post by toddinmn »

It would be silly not to do triple pane on the largest pieces of glass when you are doing it on the windows, the door will operate nicely.
The visual transmittance can be subjective since some people can really pick up on it. A difference of 10% is not that noticeable. Ask the for the VT numbers on each.
Good work on being patient and picking some good products. We all know that salesperson was full of it and will give you that price tomorrow.

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

Two nice product selections and the pricing on both seems right about where it should be based on the info given. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

SL option: I like their sliders better, as well as the triple pane glass.

Sunrise option: I like those casements better and a slight edge to the sliding door as well. Also, while it sounds like the two companies check out very similarly, I do know that Chris at WDC runs a good company while I have no personal knowledge of your other option.

Do you feel more confident in one company or the other? Better rapport with one? Preference for one product or the other? ... Again, both are very good choices. The company installing is probably your biggest variable here so I'd recommend WDC for that reason, but again you need to feel comfortable with your decision either way.

Bdstuart

#21 Post by Bdstuart »

Very helpful comments like usual. Since Okna is not an option here we are debating the 2 quotes and 2 companies for installation. Currently, wife and I are slightly leaning in different directions.
Question on the restorations based on more reading…what is the best glass package for my area (Cincinnati, OH)? My heating bills in winter are higher than cooling in summer.
Current quote is double pane (salesman pushed us away from TP) with the solar low e 366…would the standard low e 277 be more appropriate?

Bdstuart

#22 Post by Bdstuart »

One additional question/twist as WDC called me today and I was honest that we were still debating soft lite TP windows and sliding door and the SL quote was a few thousand lower. He then informed me that Sunrise also hasa a promotion for upgrade to triple pane for free…but that DP with their high end indium /low-e coating (cardinal glass i89 coating) was better for our area.

That doesn’t seem to match what I have learned from the experts here…is TP better on the Sunrise Restorations?
Last edited by Bdstuart on Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

HomeSealed

#23 Post by HomeSealed »

Bdstuart wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:44 pm One additional question/twist as WDC called me today and I was honest that we were still debating soft lite TP windows and sliding door and the SL quote was a few thousand lower. He then informed me that Sunrise also hasa a promotion for upgrade to triple lane for free…but that most people wanted DP with their high end iridium /low-e coating.

That doesn’t seem to match what I have learned from the experts here…is TP better on the Sunrise Restorations?
A lot of dealers and manufacturer are running triple pane promos based on the new tax credits coming out this year, I suspect that is probably the case. While in Southern OH the special double pane glass is more palatable than it would be up north here in WI, triple pane is still going to be superior. At a regular price difference you would have to weigh cost vs benefit, but for the same price that is an easy choice IMO.

toddinmn

#24 Post by toddinmn »

Homesealed Has got it right . Triple pane is a no brainer at the same cost and you are in area that can still reap the benefits of it.

TheWindowNerd

#25 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+2

Bdstuart

#26 Post by Bdstuart »

I have to say this board (and the others this group of pros frequent) has been an incredibly valuable resource. Steered us away from more expensive/lower quality options like RBA, Champion, and Gilkey…and in the end made me disappointed to not have Okna as an option (I did contact the company and was told no authorized dealers in the area).

We have decided to go with Soft-lite Elements. We feel extremely comfortable with the installation company and their reviews/history/reputation to include a handful from people from our neighborhood. It was not an easy decision as we had another great option in the Sunrise Restorations from another good installer but taking everything into account that we learned from multiple posts as well as this one, we feel very good about the decision.

We are still going to debate a few things though and work out some things.
Our house tends to be very dark in many of the rooms and the VT ratings on the TP as well as seeing the difference in darkness in the TP window will likely lead us to using DP in rooms where we really want the extra natural light and then utilizing TP in rooms where it isn’t as critical. At least that is where we are currently leaning. Will look to finalize things and place a order next week.

Huge thanks to all the contributors here

Windows on Washington

#27 Post by Windows on Washington »

Let us know how it goes. Happy Easter.

uncle eddie

#28 Post by uncle eddie »

Eleements is nice, good chocie.

Bdstuart

#29 Post by Bdstuart »

Thanks for the confirmation and advice by all along the way. It seemed like a tough decision initially until we laid out the pros/cons based on everything we had learned. We ended up going with 4 double pane & 15 triple pane windows and one triple pane patio door.

In case it could help anyone in future, here was the main decision criteria:

1. Window itself
- Restorations was a more attractive option with more glass
- Elements has true free triple pane; Restorations upgrade did not include low e coating (extra charge)
- Elements makes better/stronger slider (majority of our windows)
- U, AI, CR numbers better on SL but not by large amount
- Elements would make our wide picture window; Restorations would not (assume due to smaller frame)
Advantage: soft lite by a small margin

2. Warranty - they were exactly the same

3. Installer company reviews: both were Excellent but soft lite installer a little better…higher avg on Google, Facebook, Angi, Yelp. Also far fewer truly terrible rating from highly disgruntled customers for Softlite. Softlite did much better job explaining their approach and the expertise their teams provided (Master carpenter, one person only for warranty, experience of team leads, etc). The Sunrise installer is respected by this board and that did carry a lot of weight.
Advantage: soft lite

4. Price
- Sunrise had slightly better finance options
- Softlite was 20%+ cheaper
- Softlite salesman provided multiple suggestions on options to reduce cost if we wanted (some we did, others we did not)
- Sunrise was low pressure but soft lite was no pressure at all
- Soft lite quote was extremely detailed and transparent so we would know exactly what we were charged for (price by window, fees, mull removal, window sill replacement, etc). No grey area making it much easier to decide what options were and were not worth the investment for us
- Soft lite offered additional 5% cash/check discount on top of already much lower price if one did not want to use financing
- Soft lite eligible for $600 tax credit; Sunrise was not, not even on their triple pane
Advantage: soft lite by a significant margin

5. Other/Intangible:
- Soft lite showroom much nicer with their products installed in building; also full up displays Vice sunrise had their mobile displays used at home shows
- Soft lite advice on questions I asked always matched the advice given by the pros in this forum; sunrise advice sometimes contradicted
- soft lite did not have inflated initial sales price followed up with massive markdowns
- Taking the advice I saw many times here: if you have 2 good options, who do you feel more comfortable with…and that was Windows Plus with the Soft Lite Elements
Advantage: Soft lite

If we had made an emotional decision, it might have been the better looking/more glass Restorations. But stepping back, discussing the advice here, and making a rationale decision - soft lite elements was the right answer for us.

Now we just wait for arrival and installation…
Last edited by Bdstuart on Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

toddinmn

#30 Post by toddinmn »

No sales pressure and a salesperson that can walk you through the install process is a great sales tactic IMO.