Okna Starmark vs Andersen 100/400 vs Marvin Essentials vs Interstate 9800

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
PAWindowShopper

Okna Starmark vs Andersen 100/400 vs Marvin Essentials vs Interstate 9800

#1 Post by PAWindowShopper »

I've really appreciated all the information on this forum as I've gone through the process of buying windows. I have several quotes in the Pittsburgh area and am having some trouble making a decision.

Project:
22 double hung windows
1 double casement
Full frame replacements, new construction windows.

Okna Starmark Evo: 37,000
Andersen 100/400: 26,000
Marvin Essentials: 31,000
Interstate 9800: 28,000

I also got a siding quote along with the Interstates, and the total for everything with the new vinyl siding was 48,000. I'm currently leaning towards the Interstates, but if I don't do the siding I'm getting charged an extra 3,000 for labor to deal with my existing aluminum siding. I'm tempted to replace the siding too, but I'm hesitant because it doesn't seem completely necessary and I don't have a way to compare to similar quotes without getting more people out here and my wife and I don't want to deal with that anymore. I'm sure it'll look nicer and there are a few rough spots on my siding right now.

What do you all think?

Ricknez

Re: Okna Starmark vs Andersen 100/400 vs Marvin Essentials vs Interstate 9800

#2 Post by Ricknez »

The starkmark or intersate 9800 are the best options and the most efficient.
What area of Pittsburgh are you from ? You near the Layton area?

PAWindowShopper

#3 Post by PAWindowShopper »

I'm about halfway to Erie. Technically closer to Youngstown, but in PA.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

My first thought is that "full frame" is a very broad term that spans a range of installation quality starting below pocket replacements, and ends significantly better than the original new construction installation.
I'd look for each option that you are seriously considering to give you (if they haven't already) some details on what their "full frame" method entails. Nail fins? New exterior trim boards? New head flashing? Sill pans? New interior woodwork -- and if so, pre-finished or unfinished? .... etc.

As far as product, what are your wants and goals? The Starmark EVO is an absolutely killer window, checks most boxes, and is the best performer of the group, but if you need a stained interior or something like that, the Andersen or Interstate options can offer that.
On that last one with the $3k extra "if siding isn't included", I'd add that in to the total for comparison. They are either pushing costs onto the siding portion that are already included with the other guys, or that may be a volume discount. Either way, apples to apples for comparison would dictate that amount included in total.

PAWindowShopper

#5 Post by PAWindowShopper »

All options are down to the rough opening and are windows with nail fins. There's a lot of rot, so it has to be a full tear out with all new wood. Many of the sills are basically disintegrating. The 28,000 figure includes the 3,000 extra labor cost. I don't plan on getting wood interior on the windows, but all the quotes include new trim installation.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

PAWindowShopper wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:03 pm All options are down to the rough opening and are windows with nail fins. There's a lot of rot, so it has to be a full tear out with all new wood. Many of the sills are basically disintegrating. The 28,000 figure includes the 3,000 extra labor cost. I don't plan on getting wood interior on the windows, but all the quotes include new trim installation.
These are extraordinarily low prices for 24 full frame windows with nail fin install and interior wood work replaced. I'd choose the best window and make sure that those installation details are in writing. The EVO often sells for more as a basic pocket install with few options.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Good day,
You have four quotes on fairly different products.
I am very familar with three. Interstate not so much.
The AW quote is very vague as to product 100/400. There is major difference even in the 400 series. I would not suggest 400TW ( this is what lots of companies start with), the 400WDH woodwright is a true clad exterior, tilts in easliy and is where you should be.
The Marvin to compare with the 400 TW or WDH would need to be the Elevate line.

What is the AL or the 9800, compare that to the EVO, then decide how much draft you want. a little, some, a lot?
I want none if it is me.