Grid and Double Window Pane Replacement

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
raigin89

Grid and Double Window Pane Replacement

#1 Post by raigin89 »

Hello. I am in the process of replacing some failed double pane glass for my 1980's aluminum windows.

I have questions regarding what type of replacement Insulated Glass Units I should purchase and I have trouble finding an online company that can meet the original specifications. Based on my measurements, the IGU has an overall thickness of 7/16" comprised of two individual glass sheets of 3/32" thick, and an empty space of 8/32". I am also required to include 5/8" wide flat grids in a 2x4 pattern.

I am still asking local shops, but online shops only provide grids for units with 1/2" thickness. Is it an issue with making grids that would fit in a 8/32" space or is it an issue with taking up too much space for the inert gas and reducing insulating efficiency. If anyone had any insight, that would be great.

Finally, would it be beneficial to have tempered glass, or is 3/32" too thin? The overall window size is 28" wide and 41" tall.

Windows on Washington

Re: Grid and Double Window Pane Replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tempered glass as a benefit..? Not really. Only good for code applications.

I would remove one of the IGUs and see if you can get something of 1/2 thickness to fit, without man handling it, in the IGU pocket. Many times there is a bit of wiggle room in those dimensions (Not much mind you) but to where you can make the slightly thicker IGU fit.

HomeSealed

Re: Grid and Double Window Pane Replacement

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd recommend drastically reducing the possibility of getting glass that doesn't fit by having a local company come out and quote this for you. They'll be able to dial in the measurements, grids, etc. Saving a few bucks is great in theory, but there are a lot of things to get wrong here for someone that doesn't do this stuff daily.