Aluminum capping over a vynal window.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Endlessquest

Aluminum capping over a vynal window.

#1 Post by Endlessquest »

I recently had an Okna 600 half round window and two Double hung windows installed. I was happy with everything except the way the half round window capping was done.

I think the capping looks horrendous but the installer said that this is the way its done using slices and cuts to form the aluminum cladding over the vynal window.

Is this normal? Should I just accept this or take it up with the company's parent company and the advise the window manufacturer how their windows are being installed?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230422_123647_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230422_123703_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230422_205121_Messages~2.jpg

HomeSealed

Re: Aluminum capping over a vynal window.

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The "lobster tail" as we call it around here is pretty standard. While there are a couple of other ways to accomplish this, this way is probably the best from a technical standpoint IMO --- * when done correctly *. There are other ways that are arguably more attractive, but ultimately rely heavily on caulk to prevent water infiltration.

That said, the pictures shown could be improved upon. The seam at each piece should tight, lapped properly, and not require caulk on the face like that. I'd see if they can come out and give that another shot... Or if they have a different way of doing so that could work too.
We have some excellent craftsmen that contribute here, I'd be interested to hear what other guys like to use, I feel like it's been a minute since this was discussed.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Here's an example of what this should look like
thumbnail.jpeg

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Two other methods. They ain't going to do them cause there quality is to low.
They could make that two radius ribbons and laminate over what is there.
You can use composite trim: A. prebent to the radius and width.
B. do it with polyurethane flex molding.
Almost anything would look better if done with skill and pride.
What you got is subs moving to fast.
theWindowNerd

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

In my opinion, that window unit would have greatly benefited from being sized, manufactured, and installed as a flanged new construction unit. I'm sorry they did that to you. That picture belongs as a centerford in Fangoria magazine.

WindowsDirectCinci

#6 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I agree with everyone one else here. We do not do it that way but is very common. We would do that with 3 pieces so 2 seams or with polyurethane flex trim. Only drawback to the polyurethane is it will need to be painted. It takes a lot of patience to do those in 2-3 seams. I would call them and have them try to clean it up.

Endlessquest

#7 Post by Endlessquest »

Thanks for all your replies to my question. I wasn't sure what the capping process was but now i know it was done correctly but could of been done better. I did use the lowest bidder for my window project (they also were the only distributor of Okna windows in my area) so I guess the low price came with a sloppy capping job. I love the Okna window and there is no more leak when it rains.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Just to clarify, the concept of the way that it is done is correct, however the execution really isn't. It's hard to tell from the pics, but I question if there are open gaps between the pieces that they used the caulk in... I hear ya on the low bid, thing, but this is something that needs attention.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

They butchered the aluminum work and followed up with a horrendous caulking job. Have not seen it done like that before.