Replacing a Damaged Glass Block Window

Share your experiences with others
Garjaguar55

Replacing a Damaged Glass Block Window

#1 Post by Garjaguar55 »

First, I live in Tuscaloosa, Alabama where the summers are brutally hot. I have a glass block window that was broken by a yard worker. I want to replace the damaged window with a replacement picture window that will have a grid, obscured glass because it is in a bathroom. Obviously, it needs to be highly energy efficient. My house is a single level home and the window faces WSW. Currently, the glass block window, before being damaged, is very energy inefficient. In the afternoons on a clear day, the bathroom becomes so hot due to the inefficiency of the glass block window, I swear you can fry an egg on the tile floor. It doesn’t appear that I have many choices for window manufacturers. I have available what HD and Lowe’s sell, Norandex Extreme 8000, Pella, Renewal by Andersen, Atrium and Champion. There may be more choices in the area, but I have not found them yet. My question is, is there a window manufacturer (not necessarily the ones I have listed above) that I should seriously check out that will meet my needs? Also, should the glass be tinted?

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacing a Damaged Glass Block Window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any and all manufacturers should have a 3 coat Low-e (Low-e 366 by Cardinal most likely) for your region. I would ask any of the folks for that glass solar range.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Replacing a Damaged Glass Block Window

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I like Pella for this : two options I would look at:
Impervia direct set
or
Lifestyles direct set

you can do tempered obscure low e argon, you will have to check if you can add Sun Defense with those options.
wayne theWindowNerd